Closing boundary dispute  UK?

We are involved in a boundary dispute with our nighbours after agreeing a sale on our property. 

Here are the basics. After advice for 'closing' rather than the acutal dispute. Thier solcitors have made a 'verbal' claim that the wall in question was erected '10 years or so' ago [adverse possesion] and that the previous owner/occupier did not object, an estoppel has arrisen by his acceptance which we are bound by.I have provided satelite imagery which clearly disproves the '10 years or so' and made them aware that the now deceased previous owner had the property financed so any resulting estoppel is null/void. 

We've heard nothing for 2 weeks since provding this evidence. 

We have received no tangable evidence of basis of claim of ownership of this land. Our buyer is still hanging on at the point of exchange. My question is, how can we conscientiously consider this dispute 'closed/settled' and exchange with our buyer as there is no communcation or solid evidence to support thier claim?

• Maxi

As your solicitor will tell you the minimum time is 12 yrs and you would have to apply to land registry to legally acquire the land........ the buyers would be particularly stupid to purchase when there is still an issue on land registry and their solicitor if they know their job would be irresponsible legally in allowing this sale before it is resolved

• Tavy

We are in lockdown again, I can't get an appointment with our Solicitors.  I had something along those lines many years ago and was advised to take out insurance on the new property which I did, it was a small amount.

Has yours /  their solicitor advised this?

U.K.