Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Business Administration vs Finance Major ?

I’m 29yrs of age. I am currently a Junior in college pursing

my bachelors in Business Administration.I have about 13 classes left until I’m done . However, after doing a lot of research I found that is is better to specialize in a particular area in business in this current job market. I like the area of finance , so I was wondering if I should just finish this degree out or switch majors . Thus, If I do switch majors , I’ll have to take a few extra classes. So instead of 13 classes, I’ll be needing to complete 16 classes. I’m just interested in your opinion. Thanks 

Favorite Answer

It is impossible to guess.  Start by looking the specific academic requirements for jobs posted with the titles and descriptions that interest you.  Do they require a BA/BS in Finance or do they include the term "related fields?"  What specific skills or knowledge are expected in these jobs?  Will you have those from the classes you are taking?

It is very unlikely that you'll break into the areas of Investment Banking or Top 5 Accounting firms, so it really comes down to a match between ability and jobs, and the best route to master those abilities and get a job.  

• John

"...after doing a lot of research I found that is is better to specialize in a particular area in business in this current job market."

One of the most repeated mistakes made by individuals, businesses, and governments is believing a temporary situation is permanent.  I would not base any career decisions on the current job market.  The economy is currently in the worst downturn since the great depression, due to a once-in-a-lifetime health crisis. Be careful to look at normal career patterns, not what is happening today.