Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceDream Interpretation · 2 months ago

Does my dream mean anything, is it normal? How do I stop them?

My labrador was recently put down without my permission. She wasn't even that sick, but anyway I keep having dreams that she's alive and I have to save her from things. But I'm always so disappointed when I wake up, is this my brain's way of processing grief? How do I stop these disturbing dreams?

Yes, your brain is trying to process your grief at night.

I'm not sure how to stop this, but I think it is important that you deal with your grief while awake.  Also, are you angry with whoever had her put down?  I expect you are, whether or not the person had the right to do it.  Such as maybe your parents.  

The fact is that if you were not expecting this, or were not willing, you are going to be troubled for a while.  You will have a variety of emotions.  You might want to look up the "stages of grief" to understand what you have to go through.  Find people that you can talk to about it.  I am sorry for  your loss, and I wish you the best.

You feel worried about his health in real life and ur mind is not even ready to forget him even in dream which shows ur immense concerns

I don't think you can stop, as you will never stop loving her.  I do know  that getting another dog does help.  I had a similar thing happen with me.  My precious one lives on within my heart, and I will see her again I know, but for me now, I enjoy one pet after another.  Sometimes two at once.  My love for these other pets never lessons the love I have for my first pet.   Nothing will ever take her away from me again, but I go on and on and rescue other dogs and cats, etc. Life goes on.  I wish you the peace I have within my heart. 

Somebody was telling me another dog that wasn't that sick got put down too...

It's not a bad thing if their life is all about vet bill's and recovering.

• Cogito

That's perfectly normal and understandable.  You wish that she wasn't dead.  You wish that you could have prevented her death.  I expect that everyone who's ever lost a close relative or friend or pet will have had similar dreams.  

They'll stop after a while.