If u were trapped in a room with no way out with 9 others & ur captor guaranteed everyones release if u shoot 1 person dead, would u do it?

Hypothetical scenario. You were SURE the captor would keep their word and everyone remaining would be released.

BQ: What if the 9 other people were children? Did you think of not answering this when you read the BQ?

BQ2: What if the 9 people were all violent criminal offenders?

BQ3: Pick one: Are you killing 1 person or saving 9 people? (if you opted for yes)

BQ4: Do you think shooting a person in this scenario is morally unethical?

BQ5: Is utilitarianism always the best course of action?

Favorite Answer

I am a utilitarian in theory. So in theory, I would shoot someone. Assuming I can't shoot the captor, I would shoot someone. I'd like to say myself, but I know I couldn't. I would likely just pick at random. But if this were a real situation, I'm not sure if I could.

BQ: Oh how cruel. If there was an adult among them, I choose the adult. I really can't pick in this case. Would pick at random but doubt I could do it.

BQ2 - This would be easier. I'd pick the one who committed the most egregious crime.

BQ3 - Saving

BQ4 - No, you are literally forced. I see it as more of an act of self defense. You are trying to minimize casualties too.

BQ5 - In theory, yes, as it aims to minimize loss. But each life is valuable to me. Extreme utilitarianism can lead to callousness.

• ?

Sure,,, give me the gun, I shoot the captor, we all go home.

• ?

No. I couldn't kill anyone, ever.