Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 2 months ago

I am at risk for covid how do i get money if i can't work besides unemployment ??

Even if I could get unemployment it doesn't pay enough, pays every two weeks and only last 6 months maybe a year now. My primary doctor wants me to take medical leave from work. 

Find another job with decreased covid risk

There is (almost) no money for people who can't work due to covid.  Unless your state has created a separate program, pandemic unemployment ends Dec 31, 2020.

Find a new doctor, instead of one that is part of the "can't campaign".  Since you are working, your pre-existing issues don't appear to be as significant to require you to isolate yourself.

- We have learned that diabetes, kidney disease, etc etc etc are not the "real" risk to covid.  Inflammation is the real risk.  There are tests to determine how much inflammation you have but the medical community has figured out how to use knowing that you have inflammation to reduce your chances of acquiring covid.

Instead of quitting your job, don't you think it's better to take personal precautions

- test your Vitamin D levels.  It they aren't in the sufficient range start working towards that by getting at least 15 minutes of sunshine each day and taking a vitamin D supplement.  People who have adequate levels of vitamin D have 54% reduction in acquiring covid and reduce covid complications

- Wear an FDA approved KN95 mask, which keeps out 95% of small and large aerosol particles.

- Wear a 2nd mask or face shield to further reduce the chance of acquiring covid.

- If you work in an area that you can control your surroundings, there are things we can do to fight covid - improve air circulation, filter air, use plants to filter air, etc. 

It sounds like your doctor, not your employer, wants you to take medical leave.  I'm also assuming that you don't have substantial savings or some other pre-planning, since you're asking the question.

If it were me, I'd keep working, and do my best to mask up and social distance at work.  Possibly your employer would also provide you some accomodations, such as reduced public contact, a more isolated workspace, or even work from home, depending on the job.  Doesn't hurt to ask.

My employer had this thing called long term disability insurance, where I could get a percentage of my pay if I was unable to work.  But it was an engineering job, and I'm not sure if that exists for all jobs.  Also, my job could mostly be done from home in such a situation.

I'd also look for another job that was less risky, but could pay the bills.  Certainly, I wouldn't leave the existing job until locking down the new one.  My experience is that it's much easier to get a job when you already have one.

Also understand that if you leave your job, you will probably be fighting your state over whether it is truly a compelling medical leave, adding to whatever delays there already are.  Do check your state's unemployment department carefully - it may not last 6 months, especially not after Christmas, when Federal emergency covid programs expire.

Finally, if you ultimately decide it's better to just leave for your own safety, please have a plan for how you will survive for the next year or so.  Can you move back to your parents' place, or maybe stay with a relative?  Do you have a car that you could live in?  Is there a safe car park program in your area?

People get money from a variety of places such as a job, retirement accounts, stock/bond investments, social security, rental property income, self-employment income, alimony, insurance settlements, legal judgments, etc.

There are no programs that are going to pay you to sit at home doing nothing when you are perfectly able-bodied.   

Doctors tell people stuff every day that is ignored.   Exercise more, stop smoking, quit drinking, take your pills, lose weight, blah blah.   If you can't afford to follow your doctor's advice, it is what it is.   Try finding a job that minimizes virus exposure risk.

I guess you should have saved more in the past?  There should be another government handout in the next few months too.

• John

Confiscate your rainy day fund. Stimulus check 2 is going to be released. Go Fund Me?

• Judy

find a less risky job

what does at risk mean...Do they think you have Corona or not. It should not be that long until you are cured. Just focus on getting cured. If you are out two weeks or a month you should be fine. It might take several months anyway to get your first unemployment benefits.