Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

how to get motivated to start working out again?

i've been working out every week for like 5 years now but i've recently had so much drama in my life and on top of crying and trying to heal from the trauma, i never found the time to get up and work on my body. i probably haven't worked out in maybe 3-4 months give or take. i've been feeling so much better emotionally and i'm the most happiest i've ever been, but i've gotten kinda chubby. i don't check scales bc it's pretty unsupportive so i don't know how much i gained. i want to get abs again and be able to run up a flight of stairs without stopping but i just can't find the motivation. it just seems tiresome to me and i have it engraved in my mind that i was sad when i used to work out, so i'll get sad again. is there anything i can do to make working out sound more like a fun hobby instead of a chore?

I had that issue-

I got a gym membership that was near my work (in which I could stop before, after work), and I did go a few times a week for a few months, and I was doing well, up until work shut down two summers ago. I live 90 mins away (by bus) from that gym, so it made it hard for me to motivate myself to go there just to work out for an hour or so. I gave up working out for almost 2 years now, and I skyrocketed up to nearly 170lbs! 

My saving grace was earlier this fall a gym opened up in my town, its a 30 minute walk from my place, so I decided to sign up and what a payoff! I've been going there for 10 plus workouts a week, sometimes they are 30 minute ones, others well over an hour! I no longer feel "obligated"or "forced"to go the gym, I actually WANT to be there, and so far I'm down 20 pounds (and counting).

My advice, you need to find a gym near you!

• keerok

Start slowly. 

Remember the first day way back when you just started working out? You hated it! It's going to be like that all over again.

To make it worthwhile, start slow and light, just enough to move your body. Don't challenge it yet. You're just after movement. Give yourself a week or two with very light exercises. When you get the hang of it, you'll be the one raring to intensify!

• ?

Working out is good for you and your mental health as well. Why would it make you sad? Do you hate it? If so, you should look for some other exercise that fits you better.

I know it's hard to start all over again, it will be a lot harder in the beginning, but you have to re start somewhere.

Exercise should never be about losing weight, only to be healthier, stronger and to feel better. Weight loss (if any) is just a bonus.

• Adam

Find a partner who could accompany you to do exercises.