What would happen if you could go back in time 50 years and hand a smartphone to a team of technology researchers and engineers?

Would you return to the present and find a drastically different world than the one we are currently in?

• Steven

Not much. Most of the functions would not work because they depend on modern infrastructures that didn't exist. Smart phones operate using math that didn't exist back then. The microwave digital modulation would look like noise to them if they were lucky enough to look for such high frequencies. If they cut open the chips, they would probably not see the circuits because those circuits require an electron microscope to see them. They can not be seen with an optical microscope. I have a book about 4G written by 40 authors because the subject is that deep. Most modern engineers do not understand the details of modern smart phone technology and no one lives long enough to learn it all.

I was interested in mobile or car phones before 1970.  Regular radio waves connected one to an operator, sometimes it was a marine operator.  Those connected one to regular trunk phone lines.

As to making a cell phone, the idea was already being developed by Motorola in early 1970s.  See https://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/07/09/cooper....

But the high resolution color LCD display, and the micro computer inside--that would take a few decades.  I did have a 1978 watch that had an LCD panel, but it was crude. The chip for the time and date was advanced, though.  And a few years later, I had one that showed where the planets were in their orbits. 

What makes you think they didn't have smartphones already and had been keeping it a secret.

If I was the time traveler with the smartphone, yes!  

If it would be you, then I don't know.

Traveling backwards i don't believe is possible but we may someday be able to travel forwards and if we can travel forward and use entaglement to comunicate with those we send forward we might learn new stuff.

• John

I went to the Seattle World's fair in 1962 - I was 10. They had a video phone. It just took a long time for that whole infrastructure to happen. Not a cell system, land line telephones but with TV.

You are too young to realize that the world today is not really that different from the world of 50 years ago. There have been changes and even some improvements but the world is basically the same. 

Not necessarily.  The hand held device that is a smartphone is an extension of a large network of advanced computers and communication that did not exist 50 years ago.  Integrated circuits on microchips were actually invented over 60 years ago, so that concept was already here. And could they figure out how it works before the battery runs out, especially since there is no network for it to respond to?  If it came with a charger somethings could be learned, but I think the progress would be incremental but not revolutionary.

Almost certainly you would.