Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Do I remove the tail of the turkey?

My butterball turkey has it's tail (what I assume is the tail) intact do I leave it on or toss it?

• denise

The parsons nose?  I usually cut it off and put it in the giblet / stock pan to reduce down to add to my gravy.

It does provide a "flap" that helps keep the cavity closed so stuffing does not come out.

It is up to you if you want to cut it off or leave it on. 

I tend to remove it. It is a fatty bit and there is nothing on it that is of any use. 

Do you know that it's called "the pope's nose"?  It's up to you.  It's nearly pure fat.  Some people love them, in fact in countries where it's a popular part you can buy them by the bag just on their own.  I always cut it off because I find the greasiness and texture off-putting, but like I said it's up to you.  There seems to be a real love-hate divide on the issue.

• CB

Cut it off but save the feathers you can make tie some nice fishing lures with them.

• kswck2

Nah, just tuck it into the body of the turkey. Cut it off it it looks terrible once the bird has been cooked. 

• ?

Leave it on. There will probably be some idiot like me that loves it!