kanato asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 2 months ago

Do you know about Okinawa? If you know what kind of image you have?

I like it. It has good scenery and tasty Okinawa donuts.

• F

It’s part of Japan, southern most ? of the main islands , so I’d guess pretty warm.

Famous for very bloody battle at the end of WW2. ( last one maybe?).

Been there. Liked it a lot. Very relaxed, and beautiful scenery, plus lots of Ryukyu history.

I think Okinawa is relaxing place for me because has beautiful beaches, people are kind and warm,  and time is slowly.....so it’s a nice place

There are lot of islands in the Ryukyu chain, and there are several dialects of the Ryukyu language. I think the central government does a pretty good job nowadays of providing minority language services in terms of funding radio stations and so on. 

When you pay taxes in Japan you don't just get a bazillion tetrapods, you get a floating helicopter base and you get a radio station that broadcasts in a language about 500 people can understand. I get the impression that Okinawan people protest against US bases one day, and the next day they apply for a job at the same base. Oh and, Okinawa's sea is blue, and the sky is blue. 

Source(s): I am a cunning linguist.

I think Okinawa is a very good place. I like Okinawa because the sea is beautiful and the food is delicious. It is warm all year round and very livable.

I have been to Okinawa, and I loved it. I didn't know much about it, and was surprised to learn that it wasn't always a part of Japan, and the people there don't consider themselves Japanese. It has some lovely beaches, and I enjoyed the museum in Naha. 

Sadly, I don't know much.

It seems to me (and this might be wrong) that it's an island quite close to the Home Islands of Japan, and it is ruled from Tokyo (it might be a prefecture all to itself - just a guess).  But it also seems to me that its native people are not Japanese, ethnically.  (Legally they are, of course.)  It might be a very fine distinction but I suppose that for a good part of Japan's history, Okinawa was not part of Japan proper.  Perhaps it was a vassal or tributary.

I know that some Japanese island is home to the hairiest humans on Earth...that is, that there is an ethnicity that has the distinction of having more hair follicles per square inch of skin than any other group of humans.  Could that be the Okinawans?  I'm not at all sure about that one.  Weird, huh?  Some other part of Japan, most likely.

But I am confident that the United States Marines (and the US Air Force) had a large force staying on Okinawa, and have had since the war.  I know also this is not a popular presence among the Okinawans.  The military presence invites drunkenness, prostitution and other vices, and occasionally results in crimes against Okinawans and others, and even though Japan's Self Defense Force shares these installations, when troubles are caused by foreigners it rankles all the more.  

That's about all I've got on the subject.  I don't even know where the island is, with respect to Honshu.  To the south and somewhat eastward, I guess.

Its a Japanese island with a US Air Force base on it.