Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 3 months ago

My ex husband and I are arguing over a written but not specific custody change. How do we decide who's "right"?

My ex husband and I have a standard divorce decree. In June of this year, we decided to alter it. There was no specific date set by either of us how long it would go for. I want to go back to the divorce decree. His logic is that since we've been doing this, and we don't have a set time on when we'll stop doing our now-custody agreement, he doesn't have to go back to the decree agreement. My question is, who's right? Can I decide to no longer do this? Or since there's no specific date, is it set that way now? 

4 Answers

  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

    Ultimately if you can't agree on this it'll be a judge who decides who's "right". 

  • 3 months ago

    there is no right... what's best for child at the moment... Schooling and such.. where you moving, where she moving.??? Who makes the more cash helps...

  • Ana
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

    I guess you have to take it in front of a judge

  • 3 months ago

    This is why we have lawyers. If the decree says one thing, that's that's what's legal. If you want to change it, you have to go back to court. Length of time has nothing to do with it. If, for example. the decree says he gets the kids for one night, and you've been letting him have them for two, if you want to call the police on the second night and show them the decree, they'll bring the kids back. He can fight that in court, but a decree is a decree. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.