Is This Normal/Okay?

Background: 

A year and a half ago I worked at a summer day church camp where I met two kids. These two kids are H and B, they are 10 and 13. They lived in a low income area with their mother, the father lived downstate and didn't communicate with them often. Towards the end of the program I ended up getting contacted by the mother and asked If I would be able to watch them during the day before school Fast forward a year and I've done many things with them, I have been to birthday parties, spent time around holidays to visit, we had gone camping, snowboarding, fishing, swimming, waterparks, etc. I had easily been there at least 100x doing something with them since I first met them. I treat them as if they were my little brothers.

Situation:

The mother asked if I would be willing to be paid and watch H for the week and their pets while they were gone. I agreed and saw no issue with it.

When home I told my parents of the situation who did not agree with it and were upset. They said that they thought it was a bad idea saying that it would look weird in the community and others if I was staying the night at a house with the kid by myself. They said that I was being taken advantage of by being asked.

Do you agree with this?   

About me: I am a 22 nursing student, who works at a school to help pay for classes and volunteer firefighter.

I wouldn’t work unless you have found this appealing zxjq

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

I think you're well on your way to becoming a fine young person Jesse, and what you're describing sounds okay to me. However, I can understand where your folks are coming from, although I don't agree with the "being taken advantage of" thing though? You're getting paid, right? Make good decisions...and good luck.

• Dv8s

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, and your parents have been watching too many episodes of 'To Catch a Predator'.  Tell them to get their minds out of the gutter and let you do your job, because that's what that is.