Jack and support house sill?

To make a long story short. I had part of a house sill replaced before moving into my house. It looks like it isn't supported correctly and is starting to tilt inwards. Its about a 7 foot section. It looks like it's due to the fact that the foundation isnt properly built up under it. Could I just slowly Jack up the sill until it is level and build up the foundation with regular stones or concrete blocks then remove the jack?


If I were to jack up on the joists with a supported beam and jacks, it looks like the joists would pull out of the hangers. Since it tilted it pulled the screws out a little bit where they go through the joists. My worry is that if I do it that way is that the joists will pull out and start to lift on the sub floor and break that. 

Attachment image

2 Answers

  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    The procedure is to position a long, strong beam a foot or two away from the sill running perpendicular to the floor joists (and parallel to the sill) and jack the house up with your temporary beam (using several jacks) supporting the house in that location. Then you can work on the foundation. [Or maybe make the temporary support permanent.]  {Your idea might work, but driving in stones (of the right size and thickness would be hard. Better to easily place the stones then lower the sill to lock them in place, with the weight of the house pressing the stones into the "soft" wood.} Have you considered having the contractor who did the work (allegedly wrong) come fix his work ??

  • 2 months ago

    Nope.  You have to get to the bottom of the problem.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.