Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 2 months ago

Fetal Alcohol Syndrome  (FAS) ?

I am curious to see if it is possible to misdiagnose Fetal Alcohol syndrome (FAS). I am also wondering if there there is a high and low spectrum like there is with autism and Aspergers.

I am wondering because I was diagnosed when I was young and many of the symptoms or problems that people with FAS I have overcome and no longer have, such as poor coordination or balance, difficulty identifying consequences of choicespoor judgment skills, Trouble getting along with others, and other things. I currently have a successful job, recently graduated with a bachelor's degree and I live independently. 

Any information would help. Thanks.

Is it possible to misdiagnose? Of course, that's always a possibility. Do disorders like FAS exist on a continuum, again, of course. Is there a possibility of having a diagnosis at one point in your life and not another point? Also, yes. 

Good for you for getting over it. You probably know more about it than most of us do, but as far as I know it is a spectrum, so you might be on the mild end of it, or you might have worked hard to get past it. 

Physical exercise is a great help to the brain, and so are things like balance practice standing on a balance board etc, to help the limbic system. Get as much physical exercise as you can and keep doing what you are doing.