Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

My 29 year old daughter killed herself?

My daughter was 29 years old and she took her life on Friday. She had severe depression, anxiety, and possible other mental health issues. I feel guilty that I didn't recognize the signs that she was going to end her life. She kept saying she was depressed, anxious, and unhappy, but I never thought she would do something like this. I'm very overwhelmed and upset. What should I do?

I'm sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, we often think nothing of it when our children describe those issues to us as we think they're exaggerating and looking for attention. Do not blame yourself as it's not your fault. My prayers are with you.

• ?

She wasn't going to tell you ( I am going to kill myself ), so it's done and there's nothing you can do about it now.

Calm yourself... Don't take the burden guilt into yourself... It will effecting and influenced you to do the same... Take sometimes that she is ill and did wrong to herself... Forgive her and do your life the normal life... 

• Alfred

well, I must humbly express  my deep sympathy  for your daughter's death- to begin with.

it's crystal- clear you're bluntly traumatized in a totally unnatural way( as  a daughter/son's death/ suicide is clearly opposed to nature's laws)

show your mom this fake question you wrote . 

Oh well. Nothing will bring her back...now.  Stop feeling guilty.  She was an adult.  There is NO WAY YOU COULD HAVE STOPPED HER.

Learn from it, because still have friends, so you want to be able to stop it the next time. that is the ONLY thing you can do.

Get support for yourself as you move through your grief and guilt, I think that's the only thing you really can do right now. Take care of yourself, seek out a survivors support group, get counseling if you need it. 

You have a good answer here from J&C. It would probably be a good idea for you to see your doctor. I should mention that,. although you're very upset, you would probably not be diagnosed as depressed. Grief and depression are not the same thing. But grief can lead to depression. I would talk with the doctor about this. 

In many cases, people who are going through something very difficult are helped by keeping a journal. One of the ways this can help is that with daily notes about how you're doing - how you feel at different times of day and any symptoms you might have such as change in sleep or appetite - you have information the doctor could use for diagnostics. 

Just take it 1 day at a time. Talk to someone but not anyone and watch a lot of videos on YouTube on the topic.   Don't expect to feel better anytime soon

I am truly sorry for your loss.

However, I want to assure you that your daughter died of a disease which can be as fatal as any cancer or heart disease.

The American Medical Association has declared that depression is a disease that responds well to medications and therapies just like any other disease.  And without treatment it can be fatal. 

Don't blame yourself because a lot of people just don't know what to do when someone is suffering from mental illness.  I always tell people to make an appointment and talk to their own family doctor about this. 

I would like to recommend the group Compassionate Friends.

You can Google their website.  They will be a big support for you at this time.  these are fine people who do good work. 

I wish you all the best.