Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Why do some people get more shifts?

My job recently hired some people including me for a part-time position, and every week we would get new schedules. However, I noticed there is an unbalance in terms of number of hours for each staff. Some people got 5 shifts this week, while I and another person got only 1 shift this week. What does this mean? We all have same availability times, and I think I'm doing a good job. There's this new girl who keeps asking me questions to help her....but she gets more shifts.

And I'm not a slacker. I do more than what I've been assigned.

Some of it is because of seniority, which might take the arbitrary nature out of it a little. 

I mean at my company a person with high academic credentials still has to climb the ladder. 

A, this is nothing to do with Etiquette, and B, why are you asking us instead of, oh I don't know, maybe someone who might actually KNOW? Like your manager?

You need to ask your employer this question.

Also this is not an etiquette question. Please move your post to Business & Finance in the Employment subcategory.

• drip

Then ask your boss for more shifts. 

• ?

Ask for more shifts and see if you get them. If you do, then you know people get more shifts because they ask for them. 

Would be best if you take this question to your Manager to get clarification regarding how the shifts have been allocated.  Remember, the more you know the more you can do.

Because favoritism is still alive & kicking sadly so zxjq

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

Are you helping the girl? Management would see her asking as her trying to be better at her job - ie conscientious. If you're seen helping her, (and believe me management see everything!) you're seen as not only knowing the job, but you're also a 'team player'. Whilst insecurity may have you not wanting to help her - so you look 'good' - it doesn't take long before it backfires. In the mean time, maintain a happy disposition, don't criticise management - or join in when someone else does! I've been in your situation and believe me the tide really does turn. You just have to be patient.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to ask your manager, or someone from HR, instead of asking random strangers on the internet who have no idea of where you work or what your workplace policies are?