Anonymous

Why do some people get more shifts?

My job recently hired some people including me for a part-time position, and every week we would get new schedules. However, I noticed there is an unbalance in terms of number of hours for each staff. Some people got 5 shifts this week, while I and another person got only 1 shift this week. What does this mean? We all have same availability times.

But how do they do a better job? This new girl was asking me a lot of questions to help, but she gets more shifts

And I'm not a slacker. I do more than what I've been assigned.

As a former district manager with 23 retails stores under my jurisdiction, I can tell you that we allotted hours with the best workers getting the most. Rather than lay an individual off we'd schedule them with very few hours and hoped they'd get the hint and quit. It generaally worked.

• H

"And I'm not a slacker. I do more than what I've been assigned."

I hear this so many times from slackers themselves. They always brag about how hard working they are but end up spending the whole day on their phones. The worst is when these slackers have the audacity to act like they are tired. I don't know who you think you are fooling. 

Maybe some of the people are assigned a more difficult task and are able to get those done. Since they have proven themselves to be more reliable, they get more hours. Perhaps they answer calls to show up on their day off.

• You would have to ask your boss as to why you're not getting a lot of hours, or if you need to improve on any thing to get more hours. You can even try asking why this person is usually getting more hours then you are. Usually they give hours to newer people to get them trained, and get them used to doing the job. 

Try not to help her too much, she should be going to her boss / a manager with any questions. 

• Lisa

There are many potential reasons why some people get more shifts than others.  It is likely that whoever sets the schedule likes some people more than others.  What you will have to do is talk to the person who sets the schedule.  But be very careful when you do it.  If you complain, that person may have a negative reaction and not give you more shifts.  Instead, go to that person and let her or him know that you really like the job and ask if there is anything you can do to be better at it.  Ask for constructive criticism to help you improve.  That week, do your best to put what you are told into effect.  

Then, the following week, go back to that person and, after saying you feel you are doing a better job, ask for more shifts.  By then, the person in charge will know that you care about your job, and she or he will be more likely to give you more hours.

Sometimes supervisors get the wrong idea about employees.  Once they get to know you better and find out that you really do care, you are very likely to get more shifts.

Good luck to you!

You're probably a slacker.

Its OBVIOUS. The people who get more shifts do a better job.