Why does the United States government still sell cigarettes when they know they kill?

4 days ago

The US Government doesn't SELL cigarettes.  Anon gave you the complete answer.

I smoked a pack a day for 35 yrs. I quit 10 yrs. ago when I decided tobacco was no longer worth the price. Not only did it not kill me, I'm quite healthy. Cars kill a lot of people and people still sell them.

No one deputes tobacco is bad for people but how bad is relative on a case by case basis. If you must, blame God, he put it on the earth ... same w/ cannabis and alcohol.

The United States is highly overpopulated with people the social security system simply cannot handle it the United States wants people to die faster so that the system can continue to run

The government doesn't. It hasn't outlawed others from doing so because the US is a government of the people and there isn't enough popular support by the people for their elected officials to be be able to pass a law that would outlaw them. That isn't to say that it may not get to that point, but it hasn't gotten to that point yet. What's more, I'm not sure any other government in the world, democratic or otherwise, has outlawed them, either. The one-two punch of Big Tobacco and a hell of a lot of smokers in the population is a bulwark not so easily toppled, even if it would be in everyone's best interest. 

Then there's the question of even if it is in everyone's best interest, does that mean it should be made criminal? Or is that crossing over into Big Brother/nanny state territory. Just because something's bad for you doesn't mean you shouldn't have the right to choose it. We can't take away everyone's choices. People have a certain amount of right to their bad choices. Otherwise, there's no freedom.