Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Should I evict my 28 year old unemployed daughter?

I tried telling her previously that she had 30 days to leave. She took absolutely no action to do so within that time frame.

The other day I told her to get out and that whatever happens to her is her responsibility, as she is and has been a legal adult for 10 years now.

Her response was that since she is a legal resident of this house, she doesn't have to leave if she doesn't want to. I have tried to get the police involved and they have told me that if I want to take further action, then I have to go to court to evict her.

She clearly doesn't care how uncomfortable we try to make her here as she gets free room and board. She threatens to claim abuse if we become too harsh with our restrictions.

How long could this court process possibly take just to evict one single person from our household?

You should help her find a job perhaps through networking and with an agency, then begin making preparations to evict her.

• ?

Like the police told you - go to court and get her evicted.

This is a great example of why people should be antinatalists. She wouldn’t have to worry about having a job or place to live and you wouldn’t have to worry about here living there if it wasn’t for your selfish desire to have a baby.

• KTJoe

No eviction have mercy..life can be difficult and dangerous for a woman, out in this crazy world..mercy.  Daughter is happy, safe at home be happy as well. Yes she needs a job, for personal care; hair, skin and clothes. So parent end the nagging assist daughter with resume, and job search. (Monster.com), (indeed.com).

Evict your daughter??

This is a legal term, when there are no emotions involved.  You don't love or support her??

Please see a psychotherapist if this is a real situation.

Unfortunately, you would have to legally evict her using the courts in most states. And, from state to state, the timeframe varies. It could take from up to a month to several months depending on where you live. As you've found out, the police have no legal authority at this stage due to it being a civil matter. However, there is no law requiring you to feed her if that helps.

Install a big brass pole and some chairs in her bedroom and invite all of the neighborhood low-lifes over. Tell her its time she started contributing to the household. Explain how she can "strip" , and you'll be keeping the money. That's my plan...I hate getting the cops involved in anything.

The police were correct, she's been living there for years and has rights under the law to continue living there unless you have her legally evicted. I suppose the question really is: does it matter how long it'll take? I'm sure it'll be a shorter period of time than continuing to try to wait her out. 

• ?

Neither of you are right. She shouldn't refuse to leave when she's been told to go, but equally you shouldn't be forcing her. Ok, she's 28, but clearly she isn't ready and that's a failure in part down to you. 

You have failed to adequately prepare her for independent adult life.

• ?

Get a lawyer! Without knowing where you live or the laws, etc. there, how can we advise? It will make a difference whether or not she is paying rent, of course, and whether there are records of that.