Does my ex really want us to be friends or is she just offering it to be nice.?

I was in a long distance relationship with a girl for a year and 3 months. We met through some friends. She drove the 7 hrs to break up with me in June. We broke up because we couldn’t agree on where to move together, and our communication was falling apart causing us to fight a lot. She told me she still loved me, that I was important to her, and she wanted to be friends. I told her I needed time. She kissed me and left. I went about 5 weeks with no contact. She did reach out to me once during this time, I sent a short reply not to be a jerk. Afterwards I reached out to her and we talked about getting back together. She ultimately decided after thinking about it that it wasn’t a good idea for us to get back together. We agreed to be friends. I went a month without talking to her. I reached out to her via text because I had a problem. She called me to comfort me. We had a very nice chat. She told me she didn’t wanna talk about any relationship stuff because she didn’t wanna relive it. Two weeks later was my bday and she text me happy birthday. Two days later she was in a new relationship on fb. I sent her a text to tell her I was happy for her and she told me there should be no issues with us remaining friends. I was talking to her best friend this wknd and she told me that my ex still talks very highly of me, that she doesn’t want any hard feelings, and that I’m a good guy, just not her guy. She also said that my ex would always be there for me if I needed her for anything. 

Favorite Answer

It sounds like she does. She could just as easily ignore you or not reach out to you on your birthday. Do not think her behavior or friend's statements guarantee permanent friendship as in any relationship there are no guarantees. People grow. People change. People lose interest. People change their mind. People's new boyfriends express dislike of friendships with lovers past and sometimes people listen to that and act accordingly. So, live in the moment. She's your friend now. Enjoy that.

Can't be bothered to read all that but the stand out word is "ex". If this is your "ex" who gives a FCUK what she is doing or wants or feels. Concentrate on that word "ex" and move on.