Is this inaccurate in Saving Private Ryan?

I noticed that in the movie, they talk the exact same as modern American accent. I imagined that people’s accents would be bit different in 1944

Is it just me?

Here's how Tom  Hanks should have addressed his soldiers à la 1944 lingo...

"Listen, fellas, we gotta fill them Nazi's full of lead before we're curtains, you see, you see. Them Nazi's are a bunch of dirty rats, you see, you see. But, first we gotta find this kid Ryan and get him shipped back home to his ma, shucks, he might got a dame waiting too. We just gotta do this otherwise we're just a bunch of palookas, you see, you see." 

There would have been more regional accents in 1944.  With the coming of television and the entire country hearing the same accent of most TV shows, the number of regional accents and their distinctiveness has been reduced.  But not to the point where a movie set in 1944 would be considered "inaccurate" if that generic American accent is used.