I want to marry to a Canadian citizen. how long does it take for him to get the permanent resident card and can work in the US?

4 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    You apply for K-1 fiance visa. You must prove your relationship - that you met in-person, face-to-face, & prove when, where, how often & how long you have been together in person. You must also prove you earn enough to support self + all dependents + you, and that you have a suitable home in the US for you & your fiance/spouse (& dependents, if any). Expect the process to take about a year. While the petition is in process, he cannot visit US since your petition proves his immigrant intent - intent to remain. You can go to Canada to visit while waiting.

    Once he is approved for & receives the fiance visa, you two have 90 days from his date of entry to US to marry & file for Adjustment of Status to get his temporary (conditional) green card. Expect that to take 6-9 months. Once he receives the conditional green card, he goes in-person to the nearest Social Security Administration office to apply for his Social Security card. Takes about 4 weeks to verify immigration status & receive the SS card in the mail. Then he can start looking for work, start working, apply for driver's license, & everything. That green card is ONLY valid for 2 years, and the marriage must continue in good order for you to file for removal of conditions 90 days before his GC expires.

  • 2 months ago

    It takes about a year for him to get a fiancé visa or spouse visa once you file the sponsorship application.  

  • 2 months ago

    It depends.  You have to apply, and if he does not meet the standards (medical, criminal record, etc.) he might never be allowed to live in the USA.

  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    If you earn enough money to sponsor his immigration and you're planning to import him as a fiance' and marry him in the US this would take around nine months under non COVID-19 conditions. But owing to the pandemic a lot of things are delayed and no one can tell you with any accuracy how long it would take. But once he enters the US under the correct visa type you'll have 90 days to marry and shortly thereafter he'd be issued a green card and the ability to work in the US. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.