Dominic asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Best food for a picky cat ?

Been feeding cat fancy feast chicken pate and Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain Grain-Free. In general, he's a picky cat, to begin with. On top of that, he has a bit of a stuffy nose. He has been prone to having a stuffy nose since he was little and I'm sure being the wintertime doesn't help. Anyway, what dry food would have a good strong smell and be more appetizing (fish flavor)? any specific brand as well?

• keerok

Why dry? Fish entrails, chicken liver, or boiled scad.

I would try more than just a couple of foods out on him. I get a variety of Fancy Feast canned food and when my cats really like one of them I remember and get more of it the next time. Some cats like beef, some are more into turkey or chicken, some like fish and seafood. Mine also like the saucy wet food best, the ones with a lot of liquid/gravy in them.

• Elaine

If your cat is a neutered male then don't feed him anything with fish as an ingredient. Cats need food that is high in taurine and has a low ash content. I feed my cat Nutro, both the dry (chicken & turkey or the duck) and the wet (anything that doesn't have fish in it) .  I had to get a bag of Blue Wilderness and although the cat eats it he picks out the pieces that he doesn't like and leaves them on the floor near his dinner bowl. 

• *****

It's best for cats to eat a canned or raw diet. They don't do as well on dry foods. You can find recommended foods here: https://catinfo.org/ 

In addition, speak to your vet about your cat's congestion. It may be worth adding a lysine supplement to his routine, they can help with this kind of issue. There also may be other things that can be done.