Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Can the corroded lip of a porcelain kitchen sink drain hole be repaired, or do I have to replace the whole thing?

The corrosion creeped up on me cause it wasn't visible from above, and I never inspected from below. The drain strainer covered up the damage and I couldn't figure out why water levels in the sink would go down when I soaked dishes. It destroyed wood underneath the sink that now has to be replaced. If it weren't an old house with a shallower counter top than is used today, I would have bought a standard size stainless steel sink. Another reason not to buy a 'THIS OLD HOUSE.'

What is meant when people say to fix it with 'epoxy?' Epoxy glue? It's not being glued to anything. What product, exactly? 

I used epoxy glue around mine.   The kind they use on boats.  It's not pretty, but it has worked very well.

Replace the drain strainer - maybe find a slightly larger one and make an epoxy repair to the porcelain glaze/fireclay to the correct profile. Proprietary brands such as Porc A Fix have instructional videos.

• roger

Remove the drain. Clean the sink with CLR. Let dry put some plumbers putty around the drain hole. Reinstall the drain..

You could also fill the porcelain with epoxy and sand smooth put some plumbers putty around the drain.

So it's corroded through? Replacement. Sorry.