Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 2 months ago

Does Bank of America still let you overdraft at the ATM? ?

I used to “love” getting my direct deposit and going to the bank to withdraw all my funds then getting overdrawing my account $200 + the $35 overdraft fee. Why? Because if I had a lousy check in retail lets say I only got $230 when I got paid well, I’d take that $230 out then overdraft my account $200. So I would have $430. You might say “ yOu haVe tO pAy It BaCk “ “ tHeY cHaRge YoU a OvErdrAft FeE “ yes, but I would purposly always ask for extra shifts the next week to pay it back etc. I mean I got direct deposit and at that time I had no bills and was spending my money on whatever nonsense.  Due to Corona my shifts have changed and are shorter. Please, don’t be a Karen and try and lecture me on what I should be doing and what I should not be doing. I want to know if Bank of America still allows overdraft at the ATM? 

• Rita

An ATM withdrawal, we may give you the opportunity to overdraw your account for that specific withdrawal if you agree to our overdraft practices and fee at the ATM. If you cancel the withdrawal, we won't charge a fee.

$35 ON $200 is 17.5%. Its idiotic to pay that. But feel free to try it and see. I would not.  I used to have a capital one account and they let me overdraft for whatever their rate was which was way, way lower than 17.5% for 2 weeks. I don't know if it was 6.99% or 9.99% but what I figured out was if I transfered money in via ACH the same day there was no interest.

If that makes me a "karen" then so be it.

I use online banks now and my last overdraft was free because I had money transfered later that day. If it would have been the next day it would not have been free.

No bank has to allow repeated overdrafts by stupid customers. If you're constantly overdrawing your account, then expect the bank to drop you as a customer eventually. What you're doing is irresponsible. 

They still allow it.

However, you should understand that if they see that this is your common behavior, they will remove your overdraft privileges.

• ?

Sun Bank does that or used to do it. A sneaky way to get overdraft fees. BOA home office San Francisco, I took all of my money out of BOA and put into Fifth Third Bank home office Cincinnati. BOA got pissed off and lowered my FISCA for no other reason than I took my money forever out.

• ?

Troll. You will know the next time you try.

• Audrey

No they do not. BOA is a strict institution.