Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 2 months ago

how do you easily enhance beach scenery photos in photoshop and sunsets?

im a beginner

• Sumi
    Favorite Answer

Landscapes can be enhanced in a variety of ways.  I normally shoot landscapes myself, and I pretty much assure you that there aren't any shortcuts especially if do not take the time to get it right in camera.

The word "enhance" is rather vague and can mean so many different things.  For example, boosting contrast or color saturation is a simple way of enhancing landscapes or any type of photo for that matter.

Each image will have it's own set of challenges.  For me, I find that dynamic range to be the most challenging.  I almost always shoot a bracketed set of images of about 3 to 5 shots each with a +/- 1 stop variant.  I'll then blend the shots in HDR software to achieve the dynamic range that I want.  Of course, I do this while avoiding the telltale look of bad HDR images.

I would encourage you to be as light handed with your editing.  We all fall into the trap of getting to use to the look of an enhanced image.  This causes us to want to boost the enhancements even more and before you know it, you've got an image that is way over processed.  To avoid this, step away from the image for a few minutes to give your eyes a rest and then come back to editing. 

A  good rule of thumb is to reduce your slider settings by 10-15%.

As a beginner, you will make a lot of mistakes and those mistakes will become more apparent as you gain experience.  Because of this fact of life, you need to always keep your original unedited files.  Never overwrite an original image file with an edited one.  You will also want to use non-destructive editing.  This is where the program (e.g. Lightroom) applies your edits to a small JPEG copy of the main image.  Once you export the image as a new file does the actual edits get applied to the original image.  This allows you to go into the program and change any edits at any time.

I would encourage you to do a search for "how to edit landscape photos" on YouTube.  Depending upon what you like and what you are doing, there will be specific steps.  For example, shooting B&W will require many of the same steps as color landscapes, but there are a few things that are unique to B&W.

Using presets is a quick and easy means of getting pretty close to a final image.  Just keep in mind that presets are not to be used as a way of getting a final image in just one click.  Each image is unique and therefore what works for one image won't work for others.  Perfection is in the details, and when editing it's those small changes that are unique to that specific image that can take it to the next level.

• qrk

There are no shortcuts, you need to learn the basics of Photoshop. You would probably be better off using Adobe Camera RAW (part of Photoshop) or LightRoom. Doing various adjustments to your image in ACR or LR is closer to how you do it in the darkroom.

Before you even attempt to post process your image, be sure that your original image is exposed properly. Beach scenes can be difficult due to white sand which can fool the light meter in to making the image too dark. Learn to use your camera's histogram function.

• keerok

Me? Get it right in-camera.

Try auto enhance or a similar command and see if you like the result. Sometimes it is all you need, but sometimes you have to undo it and try other ways. Most outdoor photos are too contrasty, meaning the bright scenes are too bright and the dark scenes are too dark. You can choose to make the highlights darker and the dark areas brighter. 

Beginners should use the scene modes offered by their cameras so that they get a generally good exposure and white balance already. If you have a modern version of Photoshop then the Highlights and Shadows tool is a good one to use. Then you can learn about using Levels and Curves and sampling the true darkest dark, mid gray and lightest white that retains detail. If you shoot in RAW as well as JPG, you have a better chance of being able to recover details.  If Photoshop is too expensive then download the free GIMP editor which now has a Shadows & Highlights control feature.