Can stone tiles be lifted after 1 day ans re-done?

Alot of money to be lost if not :/

Update:

Stone tiles

5 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Not really, the thinset has already mostly set after 24 hours.  I mean, you CAN.  But it's not a nothing job.  If you were thinking you could just pick up the tiles, adjust and lay them back down, forget it.  You're going to need to get the thinset off and start over.

As for the thinset, you can probably cut it off with a pressure washer and a fine point on the wand so you can reuse the tile.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes. Depends on the adhesive but most won't have fully cured. But don't hang around the sooner to get them lifted the easier they will be to clean up. Success will depend on how thin they are and what format.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes with care you can lift the tiles without breaking them.  I am supposing they are in concrete. Getting the first ones off always starts at an edge, as now the grout is part of the tile so you really can't start in the middle. Compare it to being in a bus of hard bodies(so no flab to squeeze past).  If you are in the middle, no one is going to move for you; so you got to start at the edges...meaning tearing up the entire job to DO IT AGAIN.

• 2 months ago

I would say the difficulty depends on how big they are. Larger tiles would be more difficult, because you'd have trouble getting a chisel all the way behind them. The answer to your question is YES, with a caveat. You need a sharp chisel, and it needs to be long enough. I would probably use a flat utility chisel. These chisels have a "flat side" as opposed to normal chisels that have a "wedge tip". You need to get behind the tile and chop at the mortar to break it off the wall/floor without damaging the tile. Then you need to put the flat side of the chisel parallel to the tile and VERY CAREFULLY chisel off the mortar/cement from the back of the tiles. It will be time consuming and tedious work. If you're going to do it, the sooner you start, the better. The longer you wait, the more the cement will harden, making the job more difficult.

Then, after you've cleaned all the cement off the back of the tiles, you need to do the same to the wall/floor (or completely replace the cement board or whatever you're attaching to).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

They can be lifted and reset after 50 YEARS. Any additional cost was lost as soon as they were set.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.