Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 2 months ago

Why does making Asian eyes improve my vision so much?

Im very near sighted (-6.5) and squinting improves my vision a decent amount, but pulling the sides of my eyes back makes my vision almost on par with glasses. Why is this? Why do so many East Asians need glasses? Has anyone else noticed this?

• Jmax

Squinting reduces the amount of indirect light that contributes to blurriness if you are nearsighted. The same trick also works to some extent for farsightedness. However if your glasses prescription is around -10 or stronger, then squinting will give little or no benefit. The fact that pulling the sides of your eyes back works even better probably means you are flattening your eyeballs a little. The usual cause of nearsightedness is the eyeballs being too elongated.  So many East Asians need glasses firstly because there are so many East Asians and secondly because of genetics. 

The lens part inside your eye has structures called rods & cones which focus light, making an image. In nearsightedness, the rods are too long & narrow. So by squinting or pulling on the eye, you're actually flattening out those rods a bit, which makes the image clearer.

• ?

You can also make a lens by taking your forefinger, and folding it down, so there's only a tiny hole in the gap of the creases, then hold it against your eye. It then acts like a magnifying lens.