Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificThailand · 2 months ago

How difficult is it to get a retirement visa in southeast Asia at 35 years old with a net worth of over $5 million?

My wife and I want to enter early retirement in Thailand/Phillipines, my wife has a net worth of about $1 million, and I have a net worth of about $5 million. Do they accept people on retirement visa's with high net worth's easier than someone else? Will our age play a role in ability to get a visa?

Favorite Answer

Most countries want to make sure you're financially independent.  In the case of Thailand, you have to deposit around $26K in a Thai bank account.  They don't have a specific income requirement, but around $2K per person per month seems to be more than adequate.  For the Philippines, you need to deposit $10K into a local bank (per person) and have a minimum income of $1000 per month.  Financially you're okay.

The problem is your age.  In these cases you have to be over 50 to qualify for a retirement visa.  But given that you're financially stable, there may be other options.  Your best hope is to speak with an immigration attorney and find out what channels are available to those who are your age but want to retire without working.

• Jason

I think it will be quite easy in that situation.