If liberals think the national debt helps the economy, yet blame Republican presidencies for increasing the debt, why don't they vote GOP?

Why don't they vote Republican in droves if that's the case?  Clearly the Republican Party would benefit the economy by accruing more debt.  Because as you know, increased government spending is always the solution to everything.

Update:

"Handouts to the rich".  Example?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Rick
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

just another instance of the democrats 'double standard' rule:  they CAN but you CAN'T ...............

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Debt is neither good nor bad in and of itself.  That's true in terms of the government just as it is with a person.  It's the nature of the debt that's important.  How big is it, and what are you using it for. 

Take a personal example.  If I take on a debt to buy a house, then that's a good thing (assuming I can actually pay back that debt).  If, however, I take on debt to finance a gambling habit then that's bad. 

With the government it's the same.  Some debt is good and others is bad.  And part of the problem is the extraordinary hypocrisy which Republicans have on debt.  Donald Trump massively increased the US debt, I believe more than any President in history.  Now some of this debt was necessary.  We would have slid into a Depression in early 2020 if the US government hadn't stepped in and provided financial assistance.  But some of the debt incurred under Trump was bad, or at least not useful.  That would be the massive debt we incurred via his upper class tax cut.  This was a tax cut which occurred during an economic boom time so it served no stimulative purpose (unlike the coronavirus relief) and it turned out to have no stimulative impact anyway. 

The issue that liberals have with Republican debt and deficit discourse right now isn't that debt is good.  It's that Republicans are all screwed up in how they're arguing about American debt.  We're seeing Republicans argue that we can't afford large corona aid because of debt.  But they had no problem saddling us with massive debt to fund their upper class tax cut.  So they're arguing in favor of useless debt and against debt which would actually help people.

• James
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Only an idiot would vote Republican 

• 2 months ago

Not sure why you think liberals believe the national debt helps the economy.  Or do you not know the difference between debt and deficit?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Look!!  After 4 years of hibernation, while Trump spent like a drunken sailor, the Deficit Hawks are emerging to display their hypocrisy!!

Remember the "tea party"?  Is Jan 21 the day they re-emerge and molt into flying stinging swarms of sanctimonious scolds?

• Matt
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Democrats spend money on public services. Republicans just give handouts to the rich.

Edit: tax cuts, bailouts, deregulation 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The nation debt helps to be low . There i fixed your question and flip it from ad hominem to sensible .

• bil
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It takes a rare mind to stump the Democrats...Watch them answer....Something else.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.