I Love Ska asked in PetsDogs · 4 months ago

Do I as an owner have a right to withhold a puppy after a person has already made a deposit? ?

It is my first time selling puppies and I took a deposit from someone, and after the fact have suspicions on their intentions of buying the dogs.  I don't have any proof, just a gut feeling.  They are purchasing 3 female puppies from me which seems sketchy.  The puppies aren't ready to go for another 2 weeks. 

You aren't forced to sell them anything. Give them back their deposit and tell them you have changed your mind. NEVER sell multiple puppies to the same household. Wanting three bitches is definitely a red flag. Did you not ask them why they want three bitches from the same litter?

• "Do I as an owner have a right to withhold a puppy after a person has already made a deposit? "

How are WE to know that answer? Despite having been in Y!A for at least a decade, you haven't even typed up an "About Me" on your Home Page to tell us the YEAR you were born, your GENDER, your nearest CITY (include the Nation or State if other cities use the same name) and the topics that interest you most.

So we have NO IDEA what the LAWS state in your district.

Your best plan is to pay a lawyer who specialises in the laws relevant to sales.

If you can't afford that, go to your local police station and ask the cop on duty. But be aware that cops don't know ALL the laws - they focus on the laws that state whether they can arrest someone (and in some countries: Whether they can get away with shooting someone).

• "It is my first time selling puppies and I took a deposit from someone, and after the fact have suspicions on their intentions of buying the dogs.  I don't have any proof, just a gut feeling.  They are purchasing 3 female puppies from me which seems sketchy.  The puppies aren't ready to go for another 2 weeks."

Ye GODS AND LITTLE FISHES!

As you did NO RESEARCH before accepting a deposit on THREE pups for the same stranger-person, it is a pretty safe bet that you did NO RESEARCH on whether the sire and the dam are suitable to be parents! Without knowing the breed I cannot be specific, but here are the NORMAL requirements before mating a dog to a bìtch.

🐕🐩Are both parents:

⛤1: registered with your nation's ONE official kennel club (if you are a Yank or Reb, only the AKC counts) as the SAME BREED?

⛤2: successful in the conformation show ring? (= at least lots of 1sts, but preferably a Champion, or Graded Excellent)

⛤3: certificated clear of all the genetic disorders common in that breed? (most breeds involve hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, degenerative myelitis, annual eye-sight certificates - but there are plenty of other genetic problems in each breed)

⛤4: certificated with character & temperament & trainability qualifications appropriate for their breed?

⛤5: at least 2 years old? (older if they are one of the giant breeds that need at least 3 years to become mature)

🐩🐕REAL breeders want to know that all 4 grandparents and all 8 grandparents ALSO possess those 5 attributes, but add:

⛤6: Is the stud superb for each aspect that the bìtch is merely good for, and is the bìtch superb for each aspect the stud is merely good for?

And in "my" breed you are not supposed to raise more than 5 of the pups on the dam if this is her first litter, 6 if it is her 2nd-or-later litter. The breeder has to choose whether the extra pups are to be:

(a) hand-fed (every 3-to-4 hours day & night for the first few weeks!! There is also the "delightful" task of stimulating each pup to piddle-poo, until at some stage after 3 weeks old their reflexes allow the pups to decided for themselves when & where to defecate & urinate), or

(b) raised by a similar-sized bìtch who whelped very few pups, or

(c) euthanased by the vet.

When it comes to deciding who is allowed to BUY a pup, the REAL breeders also arrange to visit enquirers at a time when the whole household is home, so that the breeder can ensure that:

(1) the property & its fencing are adequate,

(2) that there is shelter available suitable for the size that breed matures at,

(3) that the buyer has transport to & from the vet for the 3 or 4 vaccinations needed in that nation (usually the CORE vaccines at 8, 12 and 16 weeks old, but in many nations the first rabies shot is needed at close to 18 weeks old, and other "shots" may be needed soon after),

(4) that the buyer can stay home 24/7 for at least 3weeks, to "house-train" the pup, and

(5) no-one in the household is a bully or idiotic in ways that will damage the pup and result in it biting that person.

Les the aged Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

• garry

if you havent paid the full amount he can .

Just refund the deposit.

You NEVER sell two puppies to the same person and especially not the same gender and especially not three. 

Give them the deposit back and start again. 

You should have had a good breeding mentor to help you with all this.  

You can return their deposit.

You can NOT take a deposit, change your mind aboit the sale, AND keep the deposit.   The deposit is only "non-refundable" if the buyer decides to back out.

I agree that you can return the deposit & cancel the contract. You are right to be suspicious of them buy three females from the same litter.  Looks to me that they may be setting up to have a Puppy Mill.  Between you BYBers & the Puppy Mills you pump out low quality pups compared to what a reputable breeder puts up for sale.  You don't make money selling dogs, most times you run in the red & there is no profit.

The way to decide what you are going to charge for the puppies is to add up all your expenses & divide by the number of pups you got.  BYBers always try to scam & screw people out of their money.  Hope you are more reasonable about this.

legally? I don´t know but I recommend paying them back and telling them something happened and that you'll need to give them another home.... or you could say that they died, I know a breeder that did it and got away with it but I think it´s wrong to do that, if you find any laws against it I recommend trying to talk them out of buying (and of course paying them back!)... if the laws aren't with you I recommend a lawyer....

Yes, give them their money back.  There's something else that seems sketchy to me, if I must say.  WHY oh WHY would you want to sell THREE puppies from the same litter to one person?  I'm glad that you had a gut feeling about this person, but I have one too.  In fact, it's not a gut feeling.  It's a fact.  You ARE a BACKYARD BREEDER!

I sure hope this is the LAST litter that you'll ever breed!

You can return the deposit, and refuse the sale. The person I bought my springer spaniel from did that with one of the people that wanted one of the pups. She got a bad vibe from them and didn't feel it was a good call selling them the puppy.