Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

What's a fair amount to pay a babysitter for a day?

We have a 6 month old baby girl. I'm not sure what the going rate is or how much I should offer for having a babysitter look after her for an afternoon (6 hours or so). 

Well these responses make me feel like a walking doormat... I get paid $20 a day to babysit for six hours, five days a week. AND I clean..

Work that out in advance. Tell her what you will pay and maybe she will bite. Maybe she has better things to do than look after your brat. 6 hours is considered a banker's workday.

• ?

You will need a very experienced person to look after a six month old for so long, so ask what she normally charges. I would think that rates vary rather depending where you live - which country, for example.

• Moya

$20 each hour

..

Where I live the national minimum wage is just under $20 per hour. I feel like that is a reasonable amount for babysitting but for a 6 month old baby I might pay more for someone with more experience. 

You should check what the minimum is where you live and decide if you think that's a reasonable amount to pay someone being left with such a responsibility. 

Surely you must know minimum wage for your country. None of us are going to have a clue are we.

Maybe $12 per hour!

$700 per hour and then give a raise 

For a child of that age, probably $10-$15 per hour.  This can be higher or lower depending upon what's typical in your area, but there's very little chance it will be much lower.