Is it necessary to turn brand new discs on the front brake system.?

Update:

Never been used.

27 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

not necessary, no ............................

• zipper
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It makes the face smother and removes any oil resadue that mite be there.  I have done this change with a touch of sand paper; so that is a yes or no thing, The shop may do it to cover themselves in case of an accident!  If you do NO, if a shop does it YES!

• 2 months ago

Shouldn't be .

• 2 months ago

Not if they're brand new

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No. They should be true out of the box. If they're not for some strange reason you return them as faulty.  Don't forget to clean the preserving coating off them before installing.

• 2 months ago

If they are not at least as uniform out of the box as after being turned, they should be returned as defective.

• 2 months ago

I've done several- just slapped them on and went merrily down the road 100,000 miles without any problems. New disks are either faultless, or you return them for an exchange for faultless ones. Part of the manufacturing process is to turn the new disk true, before they're shipped for sale.  If they weren't true, you could tell the first time you hit the brakes.

• arther
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

NO.  No one machines disks anymore we sold the brake disk turning machine as its pointless machining floating disks they end up under sized and get hot too quick for what disks cost replace them. 

• 2 months ago

Brand new brake rotors shouldn't need machining. I buy the Advance Auto Wearever painted rotors. Make sure you buy premium brake pads that come with the metal hardware needed. The Platinum series brake pads from Advance Auto work great. No noise and minimum dust on the wheels.

• 2 months ago

Brand new rotors should not need to be turned. Used rotors many times need to be turned because they can warp a bit in use. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.