m asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 weeks ago

I have a microwave dinner that says heat 3-5 minutes, how long should I do?

I am really confused. Should I put it closer to 3 or  to 5? Please help!!

1 hour ago

I'd suggest that you don't try cooking food for yourself - leave it to an adult.

It's really trial and error. Start with 3 minutes, then add 30 seconds to a minute. It shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes. Note how long it takes the food to cook properly. After a while you'll know whether to heat it for closer to 3 minutes or 5. In my 1000 watt microwave I can go with the lowest time, always. But I know that because I've kept track in my head.

4 minutes then touch to feel if its sufficiently heated for ones  preference if not heat an additional minute 

• denise

Microwaves have different wattage settings, If its a 900watts the shorter time will be suitable.

800 watts will need longer, I'd do it for 4 minutes as my oven is a 800watts model, then check if its hot enough.

That depends on the wattage of the microwave. Some pf the older ones were 800 watts and rake longer.

• kswck2

3-5 minutes means to cook it till it reaches 165 degrees-however long it takes. 

If you have a newer microwave or a powerful one the 3 minutes should be enough.  If it is older, less powerful it might need 5 minutes. 

It is like baking anything in the oven.  A recipe will give a range of time you check it at the fist time given (actually check it 1 minute early) and if it needs more time you extend the bake time. 

• CB

Start with 3 and check if still cold add a minute or two and test again. You can't un-overcook it but you can sneak up on the proper temperature.

Try 4 mi tests just to be safe. Because your microwave could be a higher powered one or an older one with less intensity. If it's still gold after 4 minutes just try again! Hope this helps!

I always to the maximum time the first time, and then if that is too much (which it never turns out to be) cut down by a minute the next time.