Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesChevrolet · 2 months ago

Will a new transmission increase my trucks value?

I have a 2012 Chevy 1500 with 150,000 miles on it with a bunch of different packages, leveling kit and premium wheels and tires. I just put a new transmission in that has 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty on it. Kelly Blue Book has the value at $17,500 without the new transmission and all the packages. Considering the new transmission (especially) and under warranty and worth $4,000, do you think I could easily sell it for $20,000-$22,000?

I bought this truck 6 months ago for $8,000 because it already had transmission problems and told the guy i’d take it and put a new one in if he gave it to me for $8,000. The problems it’s had were before I bought it bI did not wear this truck down myself just to be clear. I got it at 142,000 miles. I’ve taken better car of the truck than the previous owner. 

I paid out of pocket a little over $4,000 for the transmission, that is why it’s worth that much. It’s brand new. Not some used $1,500 **** from ebay with no warranty. The parts and labor were only $600 while the rest was $4,000 for the actual transmission. I just need to sell this truck for college 

The right answer is no. That's why cars and trucks belongs to the driver, no one else. If you want to sell your truck, you will make that like the costumer will ask for, and then you ask for the money, with out mention that upgrade.

No.  And if you need to sell it, its irrelevant.

• bo

nope won't do anything to increase value. buyers would expect the transmission in good working order in order to buy it

It’s worth book value. The new tranny doesn’t change that. New was a very poor choice if you intended to flip the vehicle: a good used one was the best choice or an exchange remanufactured one as a distant second choice. People don’t care that it’s new, just that it works. New also makes them worry about what’s going to fail next.

The packages (whatever they were) and the new tyres and wheels should simply make it easier to sell without a discount. Bear in mind that if you live in the USA at least 20 million of your fellow citizens have just lost their jobs, so there is less demand for what you’re offering.

Start with pricing realistically high but you’ll be exceptionally lucky indeed if you get anything close to $2k over book pricing after adjusting for the local regional price variations in whichever State you live in. Some places go a lot below KBB, others a little higher. But not hugely so. KBB is an average which gets skewed by a relatively few very high prices.

Spending $4000 on that tranny blew about $2500 of your potential profit.

good luck on a worn out truck

• fuzzy

A Chevy truck that needed a transmission no way (chuckle chuckle) You can price it however you want, you can always come down in price if no one is interested, but it's pretty hard to go up. Start high and be prepared to bargain. (don't loose the sale) Although my experience with KBB is that the prices are for Beverly Hills 90210, some of the prices that I've seen in that publication definitely wouldn't impress a Kansas dirt farmer.

• arther

no it says to me the thing has been flogged, people expect the transmission to work anyway if it didn't work they wouldn't be interested.

• Ian K

To most buyers a new engine/transmission means the vehicle was abused, especially with lower (less than 200,000) miles.