Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesChevrolet · 2 months ago

For Corvette Owners ?

How did you afford it? I know this might come off as a dumb question but I’m genuinely curious. I can’t imagine ever in my lifetime being able to afford such a car and I know many people who can say the same, however I don’t personally know anybody who owns a corvette or other fancy sports car and if they do they likely wouldn’t be willing to talk about their source of income. How do you make enough or be able to comfortably purchase something like that? 

• 3 days ago

A shrewd man once told me "Never buy a luxury car new. Let the first owner eat the depreciation" On my 3rd. A 2017 bought in early 2019 with 6k miles for about 1/3 off the original cost. You would probably need a loan with the car as collateral if you want newer,  if not, C4, C5 shouldn't break the bank too much. Sometimes its the thrill of the hunt to find what you want.  For the love of a beautiful car, starts at a young age. Good Luck. 

Source(s): Sports Car aficionado

DOCTORS< LAWYERS< SHOP OWNERS> engineers> stock brokers! My brother has had THREE OF THEM as a DENTIST! They are NOT the greatest things in BAD WEATHER since they use a suspension from the MODEL "T" of last century! This means a TRANSVERSE LEAF SPRING! if one wheel gets into a POTHOLE, the vibration continues to the OTHER SIDE! So they tend to HOP HOP HOP on bad roads! They are a SUPER SUMMER CAR but most bright people PARK THEM ALL WINTER! I LOVE AUDI QUATTRO CARS! They are FUN< SAFE, AWD, and they win nearly EVERY RACE they enter with TURBO technology! They NEVER RUST unless in an ACCIDENT and the A8 is made from AMERICAN ALCOA ALUMINUM and will ALSO never rust! The NEWEST A8 gets to sixty in an amazing 3.2 seconds! The VETTE is not even that fast! The VETTE is NOT awd, just REAR DRIVE so it SPINS a lot in WET or ICY weather! THERE IT IS! A TWIN TURBO BMW is ANOTHER great car and RIGHT NOW I am looking at USED SUPERCHARGED BENZ SLK230 hard top convertibles! They are OUT THERE for $5-9,000 dollars! They are ALSO a GREAT BUY and will last a VERY LONG LONG TIME! I ma a CAR NUT and have restored DOZENS and DOZENS of car from all over the world! It is FUN to see IMPROVEMENTS each time! I did a GROUND UP resto on a 60's VETTE! It had DRUM BRAKES< the stupid LEAF SPRING suspension and an ENGINE Too powerful to stay on the road! EURO CARS that are USED are the VEST BUYS around! By 100,000 miles they are about 10% of the NEW SHOWROOM PRICE And are STILL good for THIRTY YEARS and a MILLION MILE club is out there as well! no American car IS made to last that long! It MAY be why we wil NEVER BE A GREAT COUNTRY AGAIN! We do things for instant profits, and other countries do things for PRECISION and DURABILITY! OUT CARS get BETTER each year but we CANNOT keep up with EUROPEAN TECH in CARS and even in appliances! BLAH BLAH! Have a GREAT DAY wherever you are!

Fancy car is not the car for you. The car goes for you. If you like a Corvette, go and get it, you like a Porsche, go and get it, nothing stops the drivers and the car relationship, even the money, even nothing, is your girl, maybe that's why we said "she is a beauty", so, afford it, you don't have a choice, is your car! You live once.....

• Evil C

Brand new vette at a young age... only if your dad's rich and gets you anything your spoiled heart desires. The cheapest vettes I know of are '84 C4s. They sell for 2-3 grand most of the time all day and places like Facebook Marketplace are littered with them.

• ?

I bought used.......

get an education and a job

You work hard and smart, save hard and smart, move up in your profession, continually learn and eventually you have enough money for a vette, but by then it may not seem like that big of a deal as you have retirement funds that shouldn't be touched unless you want to live in abject poverty in your old age. 

Radio disc jockey and talk show host Jim Quinn lives in my neighborhood.  He is an older guy and buys a new Corvette every year.  He lives in SW Allegheny county in PA.  Do a search with his name.

The average Corvette owner was 59 years old as of 2016 according to my 5 seconds of searching (source below).  Long story short from an old guy - most halfway successful people end up having a LOT more money available to spend on frivolous things like a Corvette at 59 years old than at 29 years old.  A lifetime of earnings, savings, investments, real-estate gains, inheritences etc., all add up over time.           

some people have parents who care about their kids more than themselves, so they do everything they can to send their kids to a decent college or help them get a decent job. and then they just save up for a few years and get one.