Does Craftsman still make good tools for mechanics? Im thinking of switching out my Husky for Craftsman. What do you think?

im just a old car tinkerer dont need pro mech stuff

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Husky is guaranteed for life - why would you feel the need to "change" tools. Craftsman aren't what they used to be either - bunch of Chinese junk these days.

Thumbs down - read this 

"Verdict: Is Craftsman Made in the USA?

The majority of Craftsman tools are not produced in the United States. They use many third party manufacturers to make their various products. Beginning in 2010, many of Craftsman’s hand tools (manufactured by Apex Tool Group) began to be assembled in China in Taiwan. Craftsman uses another manufacturer called Western Forge to make tools like screwdrivers, adjustable wrenches, pliers, and bigger mechanic tool sets – these products are still made in the U.S.

I like COBALT TOOLS and I used to have a set of GERMAN tools called FITZWILLY. They were THICKER and TOUGHER and most were magnetic as well! I still like CRAFTSMAN tools and their warranties as well! But SEARS is just another AMERICAN COMPANY that went DOWN the tubes over economical things! I MISS SEARS a LOT! 

• ?

New Craftsman tools are not the same as old Craftsman tools.  The strength and likely the quality have dropped.  Husky and new Craftsman tools are probably similar in quality.  I do believe that Husky tools will be replaced if they fail. 

I first bought Craftsman tools in the early 1970s.  I still have them. 

I have bought some Husky tools.  They seem ok.

• fuzzy

I've cracked a good number of Crapsman sockets over the years the ones I get at the local farm store are much better and cost the same or cheaper 

Yeah, I got a bunch of them over the years. Mostly, I find them in the street. I just go to a Sears & place it on the counter. Next thing I know, somebody gives me a brand new one. Dangest thing ever.

• Andy C

Same quality level and likely much physically the same. 

• ?

Yes, Sears "Craftsman" are good tools.

The Same professional quality as "Snap-On", "Mac" and others.

There is No reason to expend your money to replace your current box.  Add to it, not replace with what you trust.

Then stick to what you got.  The difference will not be noticeable. They both are THICK WALLED so they don't fail.  For me Sears used to be the distributor & now Sears is gone.  So if I need something it will be another company making it from China or India or England or Germany or Japan.  I eyeball the tool to make sure it is properly finished and steel is steel...so I don't pay a fortune for it. SnapOn or Grey are better tools and you pay for the NAME( I can break them too just as easily as any other) If I break it, it is because of the cheater pipe(either 2 foot or 4 foot) and using no acetylene torch on the nut. to heat it to red hot. No impact driver either.   My bad.  Otherwise all the bolts and nuts come loose.

. Cold removal is the toughest on the tools. I almost need 3/4" drive...for the 4 foot cast iron cheater pipe.  I watch out at garage sales or basement sales.  Extra wrenches do not rot.  I don't mind forgetting a tool on a job or junk yard(because it only cost 1 dollar.  Would feel it more if the wrench cost $10 or $15(just for the brand name)?  At a junk yard, you know it is GONE by the next guy who adds it to his collection of wrenches.  Or you need to heat up a wrench to bend it  at an angle for one job.  That wrench can be bent once and that is it. Now it is a custom tool.

Craftsman no longer makes tools in the USA. It’s all China now. In my opinion, your just as well off with Husky. They’re decent and inexpensive.