Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 2 months ago

Taking sleeping pills to sleep for entire flight.?

I have a 16 hour flight before my first layover and Im scared of flying. Im going to take a sleeping pill 45hrs before take off. I will sleep for about 8 hours. Would it be unsafe for me to take another when I wake up to sleep a further 8 hours? I will be with someone who can wake me up if Im still asleep when we land.

• I honestly wouldn't recommend taking as many sleeping pills, they can bring terribly side effects and won't really help you solve the problem. 

Have you tried any other medicines ? I have a friend who is also scared of flying, and she dealed with it with vallium instead. That may (?) be safer. 

In any case, you should ask your physician, he should be able to guide you, and maybe suggest other treatments. 

What sort of sleeping pill?! Check with a doctor on this. Are we talking benzos here? Some benzos are essentially knock out pills, but you don't want to mess around with benzos for trivial reasons.  Quetiapine?, it's there but I don't see a doctor prescribing that for trivial reasons. The bitter reality is that you don't want to test fly a given medication for yourself  in flight. Sublingual Lorazepam would haven't to be taken until you are waiting for your boarding call-forget about the 45 minutes, and think 5 minutes. Seriously-if you have not done this on land, don't make an airline responsible for when you do this stuff for the first time. 

Maybe it would be best to deal with your fear of flying. I don't recommend alcohol either, but that is there too on a plane. Are we talking the antihistamine OTC sleeping pills? Not risk free either even if they are sold OTC as sleeping pills. Any number of OTC potions would not pass the safe and effective test if they came up for trials now. For example, acetylsalicylic acid is stupidly hepatoxic. Seriously, there are antihistamines that are sold as sleep aids on account of their side effects. This does not make using them as sleep aids a good idea.  

Actually, I really like the in flight entertainment I get on a flight these days. I always look forwards to seeing movies and TV show I would never see otherwise. You are not supposed to be so doped or boozed out of it that you cannot follow the flight attendants directions. Therefore you should not be on the heaviest benzos like triazolam. A 16 hour flight?-you are going to have to just live with being all eyeballs and asshole in any case. 

I don't taking sleeping pills.

I don't know to pills, because I've never boarded for a long time the plane, but maybe it has side effects, so I don't think it's good.

• ?

How powerful is this sleeping pill? I took one once on an overnight flight. I still didn't sleep and I just felt terrible the whole time. It's better to deal with your fear. Point out to yourself that thousands of plane fly every day, and they almost never crash. You're much safer in a plane than you are in a car. 

I believe you meant 45 minutes rather than hours. :-3

Since you have someone with you, I believe you will be fine throughout the duration of your flight. 

Source(s): Work part-time at an airport.

I think you should not take sleeping pills in the flight. Instead divert your self by watching movies, listening music and walking while the flight is in the air. Pills maybe dangerous in case of emergency. 

You don't need to be asleep all the time. Being in a light relaxed semi-conscious state is quite good enough. Take a lighter dose, a little oftener.

• I wouldn't normally recommend it because it will ruin your sleep schedule, but if that's how you handle flying, then go for it.  If I'm on that long of a flight I'll take an Ambien just before takeoff.

• Eva

You should not sit still on a flight for that long. Once you're in the air, your fear should subside. You should get up and walk a bit every hour on your flight. You will need to eat, drink, and use the bathroom periodically or you won't feel very well when you get to your destination.

• ?

You must ask a doctor or pharmacist.  Remember that it is dangerous to take too many sedatives [sleeping tablets]. The health professional you ask may be able to advise you on relaxation techniques to help you to overcome your fear and reduce the need for sedation.