Danny asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 2 weeks ago

Any high-concept Sci-Fi movie recommendations?

I'm a cinephile, and I like to think I've seen most of the possibilities.  I'm talking about movies that blow your mind.  2001: A Space Odyssey is at the top of the list and is one of my favorite films of all time.  I just saw Annihilation and I had to rewatch it because I loved it so much.  I want to be in awe of the scale and imagination on screen, and if it has a touch of Lovecraftian horror like those two movies do, then that's just the cherry on top.

And no.  Don't recommend Interstellar.  I've seen it and I'm not fond.

Thank you for your time and recommendations.

Oh, I've also seen The Color Out of Space with Nic Cage.  I liked it, but it wasn't a masterpiece like Annihilation or 2001.

• snafu
    Favorite Answer

Solaris - Andrei Tarkovsky 1972

Moon - Duncan Jones 2009

Contact - Robert Zemeckis 1997

Under The Skin - Johnathan Glazer 2013

War of the World’s - Steven Spielberg 2005

Bladerunner & Bladerunner 2049

• Thanks for reminding me.  Annihilation, 2018, was excellent, will give a second viewing for sure.

Also on a list with Kubricks 2001on top , and annihilation a little further down, would be Planet of the Apes, 1968.  

Bladerunner, 1982, 

And a guilty pleasure , though probably not on the list, is 1997's Starship Troopers.  

• 1 week ago

In my mind, nothing compares with Alien and Aliens, the two best sci-fi movies of all time.

matrix 1, thirteenth floor, existenz, the island,

• Elaine

Metropolis (silent version). 

Moon

Inception

Well I am in a invasion of the anti disabled and posions fighter I n the science labs with monkeys  testing  so we can save people and  planet .CIA today keeps fighting for  science and steals the best scienctists.

• Kyle

oblivion is really good and underrated i think.  tom cruise is in it and morgan freeman.  can't go wrong with them.

Annihilation is really good.

A big favorite of mine is "The Lathe of Heaven" from 1980. This was PBS production that was supposed to be a series but only one was finished. It’s on YouTube but don’t confuse this with the later version done by A&E. That one was bad.

• Moloch

Not as 'mind blowing' as 2001 but worth a watch;

Source Code

Ex Machina 

Oblivion

Elysium