Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 2 months ago

Can eating too many vegetables lower your blood sugar to dangerous levels?

• Olive
    Favorite Answer

No not at all. Actually vegetables are very good for diabetics and can enjoy them all you want without it bothering your sugar levels except for root vegetables like potatoes cause they have alot of starch in them

• ?

Depends on what type of vegetables. Potatoes, sweet potatoes and corn are complex long-lasting carbohydrates, starch, that can and do raise your blood sugar levels too high for too long unless you increase your insulin to compensate. I didn't notice potato highs until I was in my 30s. Some diabetics have pizza highs. After 10 years of taking 4 to 6 insulin injections per day I look back amazed that I used to take one injection a day until I was in my 40s Insulin has changed A LOT. My metabolism has changed a lot and continues to change. 

Eating vegetables DOES NOT lower your blood sugar levels dangerously. 

• Shay

Vegetables do not lower blood sugar levels no matter how many you eat.

If you are not diabetic - there is very little you could do that would hurt your blood sugar levels because your body self regulates.  For a person with no health issues, it is almost impossible to get dangerously low blood sugar unless you are starving and very malnourished.  The liver would release glucose reserves before the blood sugar reaches dangerously low levels.

If you ARE diabetic - then your MEDICATION is what lowers your blood sugar levels.  What you eat will always raise blood sugar levels.  Even vegetables have carbohydrates and ALL carbohydrates raise blood sugar levels.  But if you are using too much medication - then the medication lowers the blood sugar faster than what food or your liver can correct.  Diabetics get dangerous low sugar levels BECAUSE OF THEIR MEDICATION.  

If you ARE diabetic and you ARE using medication - then there is some chance that you don't eat enough carbohydrates then your MEDICATION would cause your blood sugar to go to low.

So - if you are a diabetic and the doctor has put you on medication but you are discovering that you are always getting low sugar readings when you eat healthier - then  you need to talk to your doctor about adjusting your medication levels so that you can eat healthier.  New diabetics sometimes have issues with balancing eating better and the levels of medication they need to use when diet isn't enough.  In some cases, when they have improved their diet and lost some weight, the doctor might need to reduce their medication.  

How many is too many? Most humans would get full, long before they ate "too many vegetables".

And veggies for the most part are not going to lower your blood glucose levels just for the act of over stuffing yourself with them. Barring things like bitter melon and fenugreek seeds (both if which can lower blood glucose), eating a lot of most vegetables, won't lower your blood glucose. 

• ?

Only too many turnips.

• Barry

Of course not. Where did that silly idea come from?

• ?

no it can not................