Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

Po: Why do you break things in your room? JJ: That's my personal matter. What's your problem for that? Is "personal matter" correct here?

Favorite Answer

you could say that it is "a personal matter" but not "my personal matter".  It is pretty well unnecessary to declare a personal matter as belonging to the person indicated by the word "personal".  personal means "applying to the person, belonging to them".

A common way to say it would be "My business" (my private concerns, not your concern), but calling it a personal matter, or a personal issue, or done for personal reasons, are all possible alternatives.

The second sentence ought to be "do you have a problem with that?"  What is your problem is something you can say when there is an obvious problem and you want to know what it is, but not to ask if the person has a problem with something specific that you already know about.  Then you would ask why or if they have a problem.

• ?

It could suffice. I interpret it as implying the answer is none of your business or for me alone to know.

No. A more usual construction would be:

That's my business. Do you have a problem with that?

• Matt

“That’s my business, have you got a problem with that?”