Does facebook, instegram, etc banning sex offenders amount to discrimination?

Hi!

I read that many social media platforms, ie. facebook, don't allow a sex offender EVEN IF THEY HAVE SERVED THIER TIME. Can they be sued for discrimination over this?

• 1 day ago

NO it amounts to these type of sites attempting to protect people from criminals.

• Marvin
    1 day ago

Somehow I doubt that social media knows if someone is a sex offender. You can find out. Just make a fake profile using a disposable email and pretend to be one.

I do not use social media, and I am not a sex offender, or any other kind of offender. 

I have three fake profiles that I created using my real name, fake (other) details just to confuse the big data collectors, and to make fodder for scammers. All three accounts have been active for over four years even though I only log on once every few months and long stopped accepting “friend” requests. I figure I am doing my part to distract the Nigerians! Hahaha

Anyway, I digress. You can do the same, only pretend to be an ex con and see what happens. What is the worst that can happen? They might suspend your account?

• 2 days ago

Things have been getting interesting lately...  what is a sex-offender.???  If you got caught for what you were just thinking then we would all be locked up...  Try to lighten up on yourself....  85% of you would be in prison....  stop being so harsh on yourselves...  men and women alike..  

2 days ago

Sex offenders never finish serving time.

Source(s): They are banned.
  • Cathy
    2 days ago

Yes.  Ex-Speaker of the House of Representatives Dennis Hastert and ex-Congressman Phil English can be sued.  

Source(s): Michelle Obama and his husband
  • david
    3 days ago

No. Discrimination is based upon underserving a population that is defined by an immutable and unavoidable condition.  

• 3 days ago

I think you misread something.  I am willing to bet the criminal background of the user is not part of the user agreement.  Instead what was written is a rule that the user was not allowed to use the social media platform to pursue criminal activity regardless of their criminal background.  Or you read how a sex offender may have been barred from using social media as a part of their sentence or parole longer than the period of their prison term.  

Source(s): Social media doesn't do criminal background checks on their users.
  • Maxi
    3 days ago

Being a convicted sex offender is not a protected class.so no and it is about time social media ban these criminal predators, it has took them long enough to ban them

3 days ago

How could they possibly know users are sex offenders unless they are posting sexual content that reveals it?

• ?
    3 days ago

Where the hell did you read that nonsense? When you signed up for any social media platform, did you need to tick a box saying "i am not a sex offender"? Of course not. Noone is required to declare thsir sex offender status when signing up for a social media account, so there is no possible way for facebook or anyone to discriminate on that basis