As a parent of a child with ADHD should you consistently remind them of what to do all day, or motivate them to think of it on their own?

Just curious what everyone’s thoughts are on a few things. With a child with ADHD do you think it’s more beneficial to consistently remind them of things (like go brush your teeth, now brush your hair, grab your lunch kit and put it in your backpack) and go step by step, or attempt to get the child to think more for themselves, (please get ready for the day)? Almost like one direction for a multitude of tasks to get them thinking about what needs to be completed?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

as kids with ADHD have problems focusing on doing something then the only way they will get normal things done is by reminding them to do it all the time - many kids do grow out of ADHD in time

• 2 months ago

Um, no, in fact, that's likely a sure-fire way to wind up with a very dysregulated and frustrated child. Kids are all different and those with ADHD are going to have different a unique symptom profile. My son who has ADHD (along with bipolar disorder, anxiety, and a neurodevelopmental disorder) would lose his **** if someone was standing over him barking directions all day. My goal is not a drone, my goal is to teach life skills so he can regulate himself emotionally and be on task in a way that makes sense for him. We have used various forms of reminders and prompts throughout his life, as his development has changed. At one point he had a laminated task strip in the shower to help him remember all the steps (turn on water, wet hair, get shampoo, etc, etc)... after a few months, he no longer needed it and continues to be capable of remembering those steps. But, yeah, a lot of people with neurological disorders like ADHD are going to find constant verbal input more of a challenge than a help. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.