Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 2 months ago

What are some pros and cons of being a teacher?

I am debating if I should go to school to be an elementary school teacher. I will be certified to teach k-6 in nj. I am just not sure if I should do it. 

• donnie

All jobs have pros and cons 

If you are a Good teacher a Job for Life

There's pros???

• ?

Sometimes you see a kid transform before your eyes from being a problem to becoming a great kid. Sometimes they are interested and want to learn. Sometimes they are fun and you have parents that support you. Sometimes you end up with a normal, supportive principal. Most of the time you get kids who couldn't care less and are spoiled by parents who think you are out to get the kids when you expect them to act appropriately and accept consequences when they don't. Often you have kids who could never possibly do the grade level work and should have had services long before they get to you. Often you run into principals who are examples of the "Peter's Principle"--that they are promoted to their highest level of incompetence--and don't have a clue as to what they're doing, which basically destroys a school and has a high turnover of teachers because of it. Who allows the loudest complaining parents to run the place. It isn't easy.

Pros - Getting to ruin people's lives, having 10 months off, getting to get students suspended, getting to give all fs, and your above the law.

Cons - Nothing 

• drip

I know several teachers,  the ones that enjoy their work and are happy. are the ones who have had a true calling to teach.  

In some areas the pay can be low. You do spend your own money on your classroom. You will be grading papers and lesson planning “after hours”.    You will have after hour duties, such as parent/teacher conferences or chaperoning school events.  So it can be a time consuming career. 

I would plan on getting your Masters degree at some point. My niece got her Masters degree in guidance and counseling. She automatically gets a higher salary. She is now trying to get into school counseling in her area and out of the classroom after 20 years of teaching. She is single, owns car and three bedroom home. She is well paid. 

My daughter’s friend has taught for 8 years and is now an instructional coach for the school district. Right now she is helping teachers deal with online teaching,

And my cousin’s daughter got her degree taught for one semester and quit the profession. Didn’t like being in the classroom. But there are a many companies that would see a teacher degree as a plus. 

So there are areas you can transfer into if you don’t like teaching or are ready for a change. 

Teacher’s Union and benefits can be very good. 

• jijawm

I started to get my teaching credentials, but was not happy with the ideology I was expected to embrace. E.g. 

Only go into that job if you're able to work with children. If you can't stand them, you will have a miserable time. Yes you'll get paid well, but if you're miserable, you'll hate your job for the rest of your life. Choose wisely because theres a lot of cons of being a teacher. There's kids with behavioral issues, kids that have shítty parents, kids that will annoy you or try to seek attention or to anger you. Kids are unpredictable. Think and choose wisely.

Source(s): I work with kids