Hello! Question about the Economic Impact Payment.?

Thanks in advance.

I saw that the deadline for nonfilers is November 21 of 2020. I'm usually a nonfiler due to various circumstances but I did file my tax return at July of this year since my company had some issues getting my W4 for me. I was wondering, do I need to register as a nonfiler in order to get my first stimulus package since I haven't received it yet?

I'm a US citizen so I should be eligible.

Favorite Answer

If you don't get the advanced payment then you can claim the credit on your 2020 tax return.

You can always file a tax return, even if the law does not require you to file one. So even if you don't have enough income to trigger a filing requirement you will want to voluntarily file to get a refund which would be your stimulus money.

• ?

You do not file as a non-filer when you already filed a tax return. That app is for people who are not required to file. If you filed on paper, you will be waiting months for an refund or stimulus payment.  You can check the status of your payment(s) on the IRS website.

Since you did file, you are not a non-filer.

It's not an Economic Impact Payment.

It's an Economic Impact Tax Credit.

If you qualify for the advance payment of the tax credit but do not receive it, you can claim the tax credit on your 2020 tax return.   Yes, it's a refundable credit.

If you are a non-filer and choose not to file a 2020 tax return, it is what it is.