Mickey asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Why do people learn French, Italian, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean, and nobody wants to learn German I don, t understand why ?

I am a man 38 years old, and I love German language, but nobody likes German language, why ???

What nonsense. You must have a very limited group of friends if none of them speaks German or wants to learn it.

When I grew up German was the language of the enemy and English the one of the liberators.Also I think English is easier.I am sure a lot of people rather learn German than Chinese or Korean etc.

Why do you say so ?

Many people want to learn German ... far more than Portuguese.

Because today there are significant business and holiday needs for learning them. Also, Germans have been taught English rather too well at school, and this can make English-speaking visitors very lazy.  It is still important to be able to understand German within a scientific and industrial context; I remember being encouraged to take such a course while at uni; it helped considerably when using references.

• Tangi

People here in Western Europe do learn German. Because it's useful here.

But outside of Europe, very few people will ever need to know German, contrary to more widespread and/or influent languages like English, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Chinese, etc.

Some people also unfortunately have that stereotype that German sounds harsh. Mainly dues to WWII films where Germans are always represented as the enemy soldier, shouting all the time.

Normally spoken German sounds nice, but again, few people outside of Europe have the opportunity to hear it.

@Anonymous, there are different registers in French, German, Spanish, Hungarian, Japanese, Korean and most languages.

I don't think non English speakers don't realize there are different registers, they just don't know all of the vocabulary, so they may believe a word doesn't exist when it does.

Also, it's very difficult to decide what counts as a word. Do all of the meanings assigned to a single string of letter count as different words? Does one meaning expressed by two or more strings of letters count as a single word? What about different forms of the same word that just change due to the syntactic or phonetic context? Do they all count as words?

This vagueness about what constitutes a word greatly participates in the perception that some word in a language doesn't have an equivalent in an other language, when it does.

I personally don't like the sound of German.  But I don't like the sound of French either, which is ironic because when I was taking it I used to get praised for my accent.  :  )

• Zirp

Some people think German is "bad" because the Nazis used it....or believe that all native speakers of German are fluent in English.

In reality,  German allows you to say things that English doesn't have words for. It also is the biggest language of the EU, with a hundred million or so users

• ?

German is only good in Northern Europe, and most people in German speaking regions know English.  I do not know anybody who has learned Portuguese, and only Chinese or Korean if they are living there.

It’s quite an aggressive and complex sounding language which puts a lot of people off. 

• Mark

Where are you getting this?  I speak German fluently.