Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCell Phones & Plans · 2 months ago

Do any cellular services still sell dummy phones?

My mom doesn't like smartphones so she wanted one of those 'dummy' phones, the kind you just flip open and talk on with the physical buttons to dial.  She doesn't know how to text and she would never use data, just wants a simple phone to talk on.

I didn't want another contract so I ordered her a dummy phone off of eBay,  It said for Verizon and came with the Verizon logo.  It looked almost new, not a scratch on it so no evidence it was ever used.  I took it into the Verizon store and the guy got mad at me and asked me if this was a joke.  He said he couldn't activate the phone because it was a dummy.  

I've seen people use them so does anyone know who would still have a dummy phone?  I know everyone has smartphones these days but my mom doesn't want one of those, as she just can't understand how to use it.

If you are just going to be mean or rude, please don't answer.  Answers from trolls will be reported and censored.  Thankyou.

You don't want a "dummy" phone.   

Don't use that term, 

or you will get more of what you already got that wasn't functional.      

Ask for a "flip phone".       

You want a "senior citizen's" phone service like Jitterbug.  They don't come with contracts. The phones are very easy to use--no frills, no one could mess up using one. Google that or go to AARP website for recommendations. 

Hello Troll.  Nobody is that stupid.  

• ?

A "dummy" phone is just that, a phone WITHOUT the electronics inside. Much like a ventriloquist dummy.

Some dummy phones are demo phones that can not actually be activated, because they are just bots that show off features, but do not function. 

What you are looking for is a non-smartphone or dumb flip phone. And since it does not use data, does not need a plan with data. All carriers still offer non data cell phone plans for current phones that don't have data. You do have to ask for the plans, and buy a phone from them or a third party that is at least 3/4G.

Dummy phones are just that. Non-functional display models only which are designed to be worthless if stolen from phone shop displays. 

You’re just looking for an ordinary mobile phone, not a smartphone. Plenty of manufacturers still sell those, but as they’re usually very cheap few mobile phone service providers offer them as part of a contract.

• ?

Just google phones for old people.