Customer Service Question:  Was I wrong to disconnect the call? ?

I work for a large medical company assisting patients with receiving free insulin for their diabetes.  It's an inbound call environment.  I've mentioned this before that I do not like being called pet names like honey, sweetie, or baby when I'm working especially from patients.  May people feel that the older you are the more of a pass you get.  Well, I was assisting a woman who was trying to get her husband on our program.  When I answered the call the first thing the woman asked for was my name.  I politely gave it to her and again asked for hers.  During the call she called me sweetie. I politely told her my name again.  A few sentences later she called me baby.  Again I politely asked her to call my by my name.  Her response was, "I'm sorry, does that offend you?  I politely again said "yes, I do not like being called pet names by people I do not know."  Her response to me was, "Ok, can I call you a$$ hole?"  I politely gave the company closing, "Thank you for calling . . . " and kindly disconnected the call.  All of our calls are recorded so I wasn't rude to her in any way.  I just asked her to call me by my name which I had given to her several times.  Again, some people think that the older you get the more of a pass people should give you in regards to stuff like this.  I'm sure that when she goes to her doctor's office she doesn't call them by pet names or even their first names.  She refers to them as doctor.  

When she goes to church she either says pastor, reverend, or father, not their name and especially not baby or sweetie. Was I wrong to disconnect the call?

Why do people feel that because you work customer service you should be allowed to be called anything the customer feels like calling you?  If I was an attorney, police officer, doctor, or any other highly regarded profession you would never call someone in those fields honey, sweetie, or baby.  I'm not at a returns counter refusing to take back a shirt you've worn.  I work in an office assisting you with life saving medication.  You respect me and I'll do the same. 

I didn't ask to be called "your lordship" I simply asked to be called by my God given name.

You were not wrong. You wanted to get a respectful and professional communication, which is logical and goes in line with your job. One of the reasons it was OK to hang up is that this lady was not stranded without services--- she had alternatives such as calling back and getting her service with a different representative who doesn't care about how the callers call him/her

• ?

SHAME on you.  Unless a person is cussing at you - you have NO right to hang up on them.  You also have NO right, to hang up on them, just because they call you a 'pet' name.  GROW A BACK BONE and MOVE ON.

• I would have done the same if I were in your place.You don't have to take insults.You didn't do anything wrong,in my opinion.

• ?

If you can't handle these things, call center work isn't for you. There's been MUCH worse....

Over the phone, I don't think I'd let myself be offended by that - you get the sale, they get the insulin. Obviously, people who need insulin have too much sugar... they're trying to be sweet.  

OK, OK - Maybe the Customer's NOT always right.

But the Customer's is ALWAYS the Customer, until they're NOT ANYMORE. 

You were entirely wrong in the situation you mention zxjq

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

• ?

Yeah, that was pretty obnoxious on your part. Guess you never got the memo that when you work for someone else you don't get to change that job culture to suit your own ego. So now some poor guy who needed help with the medication he uses to stay alive has to go without because you're too precious to exist in the real world. Hope these people called back and got a less narcissistic operator to help them. 

• drip

You were on a call. How do you know what this person calls their doctor or pastor? 

You need to tell your boss that you have an aversion to being call anything but your given name, and if any customer calls you anything else, like sweetie or hon, you will refused to deal with them and hang up. 

While you not liking be called pet names by strangers is valid for you, this does not automatically suggests others will follow or agree with your thinking. You know your company's customer service protocol and so, if you engaged in a way that was inline with those policies, then you have performed your job in an appropriate manner.  However, given you are questioning your behavior, have a conversation with your Manager and ask for some guidance/suggestions.

I've had (call centre) jobs where I was threatened and repeatedly called sl*t amongst other f and c names! How about getting off your high horse and just do your job? You're not paid to dictate the terms people calling should use . . .   Yes, you were definitely in the wrong for disconnecting the call.  BTW - even after being called a sl*t, I still didn't hang up. I saw it as their insults 'winning' over my professionalism if I hung up.