Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Should cigarette smoking be banned in the U.S.?

I'm going to assume this will be a hot topic.  Ridicule included.  Yes, I'm a smoker.  Yes, I have quit in the past (for 7 years) and went back to it.  Yes, I know of all of the dangers.  I will also say that quitting is easier said than done.  With that said, here is my point...yes, I would love to quit.  I do believe that a smoking ban would be the best thing for me and many others.  Okay, nicotine fits are murder, even under a doctors care...been there done that.  At some point, will have to experience them again.  Yes, I think smoking should be banned, everywhere, including at home.  I think that cigarettes should be against the law.  Get caught smoking, pay a hefty fine or go to jail.  Cigarette companies should be shut down, pay fines, and go belly up (bankrupt).  Then all cigarettes, pipe tobacco, filters/tubes, e-cigs, etc. should be pulled off of the shelves everywhere in the U.S.  Wish I had never started.  Wish even more that I wouldn't have gone back to it.  Excuses?  There are none.  My reason for ever starting is the stupidest one yet...to fit in.

I wish there were a "safe" "miracle" prescription drug that would control the urge to smoke, decrease / weaken nicotine fits, and make smoking so disgusting to people, including me, that the site, smell, or thought of smoking would literally make people and myself sick.  May not sound pretty, but if it could happen and work, I'd take it.

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

No.  When I started smoking, in the US, about 75% of the population smoked cigarettes.  Now it is under 20%.  I can't remember the last time I was around anyone who was smoking.  The few people I know who still smoke go outside to do it.  One of them is so hooked that she's deluded herself into thinking that smoking isn't why she has chronic bronchitis.

BTW, I smoked 25 years and there was a point when I smoked up to 4 packs a day.  I quit smoking Jan 24, 1989.  That day I hadn't even planned to quit.  About midday I looked at the cigarette I was holding in my hand and said to myself "This is it.  I'm tired of this habit controlling my life."  Put the damn thing out and never looked back.  I no longer wanted a cigarette.  No one can quit smoking until they reach that point.

What's sad is that most smokers are poor people who can least afford it.

• ?

There is an ENORMOUS amount of taxes collected through cig sales, and that is the ONLY reason why cigs are still legal.

G R E E D !

AND THE ADDICTION IS WHAT SMOKERS GUARANTEE FOR FINANCIAL TAXATION SUCCESS. 

• Jas B

You should read some of your own history about what happened when the government tried to ban alcohol, driving it's production, distribution and sales into the hands of gangsters.

Making something illegal doesn’t make it go away. It would only create a demand on the black market. Just look what happened with alcohol back in prohibition times. Prohibition doesn’t work. It didn’t work back then, and it’s not working now with drugs. It shouldn’t be up to the government to decide what people do with their bodies. And quitting smoking is NOTHING compared to other things. I quit smoking many years ago. It was hard, but I really truly wanted to stop, which made it easier. I’d quit smoking 100x over again to avoid the process of quitting heroin and opiates. Once you’ve experienced heroin withdrawal, you’ll realize that nicotine withdrawal is not that bad. When I quit smoking, I was irritable, moody, and felt like I had a cold for 2 weeks. Quitting heroin feels like you wanna die. Even after going through that, I still believe it should be legal. You can’t save people from themselves. 

• Rick

free country, so you're free to do stupid stuff, too ........................

As a teen who has been exposed to nicotine a lot, I think it would be best to ban it now than suffer the consequences later. they are literally killing you because of how toxic it is. good luck in quitting.

There's no reason why cigarettes shouldn't be labeled as a narcotic. It kills more than marijuana.