Ben asked in HealthOptical · 2 months ago

Glasses Prescription?

Good Morning from the UK.

I’m a 20 year old and I had an eye test yesterday, my prescription was:

R- -0.5

L- -0.25 -0.75 180

I know it isn’t much, but I’ve been noticing without my glasses I can’t see faces anymore without them. Before I had little astigmatism and now it’s higher. The optician said that my left eye has trouble focusing with the right eye. How often should I wear the glasses? I’m a teacher so I guess wearing them during the school day is essential. Thanks for any responses! 

It is a pretty low prescription. If your classroom is the appropriate size for elementary school, you should be able to see everything fine in your classroom without them. You can wear the glasses if you want. That is really the key. If you are a danger to others when you drive without glasses, you have to wear them when you drive. Other than that, there is no "have to wear glasses" for adults. I have a similar prescription. I wear them to drive at night, especially in unfamiliar areas. I wear them to watch sports live or on TV. Back when I watched movies in the theater, I wore them.

• Tavy

Ben you wear them when you need them as we all do. There is no specific time or place, you wear them when seeing is difficult.

You really have to ask strangers across the world about this ????? 

By the way Mark, I’m not a PE or Art teacher. I’m studying to be a Primary School teacher. Close I guess. Thank you to the anon answer very detailed, I’ll wait to see if someone else replies before I award top comment ;). You’re well in the lead! 

Your astigmatism didn't actually get "higher".

The real issue is that you can now see the difference between your vision and your vision when it is corrected with glasses.  Nothing has actually changed or gotten worse.  Glasses don't make things worse.   Glasses just make things easier.  So, now that glasses has made it easier for you to see by correcting your vision issues - it has now become harder for you to make your eyes focus without the use of your glasses.

If something about your actual vision issues becomes worse - you will notice that your glasses also stop helping and you would have trouble seeing things even with the glasses on.

Now - as for when or how often  you should use the glasses - your best source for that answer would be your optician.  But, as a general standard - you should wear the glasses anytime they will help you do whatever task you are doing without straining your eyes.  So - wearing them during the school day is most likely important.  If you drive, it would be a good idea to wear them when you drive.  When you are at home, it probably wouldn't be as important to wear them unless you are trying to read.  Wearing them when reading would help avoid eye strain and headaches.

Wear them when you need them.  If you have trouble seeing something put your glasses on.  I'm guessing you're either a PE teacher or an art teacher.