Use car plates?

So I bought a used VW on October 1st, without a license (I had a driver's permit). I paid it fully in cash, the dealer gave me temporary plates & a temporary registration paper that he taped in my windshield, & he told me he would text me when the plates came in. I said that was fine.

I texted him in late October asking if the plates had come in yet, he said no, that there was a backlog at the DMV & that he would text me when they did. I said okay.

Today I was getting antsy, & I've already passed my behind the wheel test & am just waiting for my license to come, so I texted him & asked if the plates had come in. He said "I got the registration but not the plates. Plates are $55 extra." I was confused, & told him I had asked him about the plates a month ago & he'd said they were coming in, so I had assumed he had already filled out the form and filed for them (or however that works, I know I probably sound stupid but this is my first car). He replied "No they just sent me the registration they said plates are extra." At that point I was done, so I said okay, I'll go pick up the registration tomorrow.

So I guess my first question here is, is he bullshitting me? Do used car dealers normally make you go get the plates on your own? My second question is, since I do need to get new plates from the DMV since all I have are the paper ones that expire in December, do I need to take anything to the DMV other than my registration? Like the bill of sale or anything like that?

Favorite Answer

Sounds like B.S.

Go get the reg from him and walk out.

When you get out of there, look at the reg, and note that there is a license plate number associated to it.

The dealer has the plate that came with the reg. in his desk drawer and just wants to bilk another 55 bucks.

You can get replacement plates and a new copy of the reg. with the new number for a small fee that will be mailed to your home.

Do you mean USED car?

Take all of your paperwork to DMV and ask THEM what the process is (or is not) in your State.  I don't know where you are.,

Plates come from the DMV. Yes, there's a fee & $55 is about half what I pay. If you have the paper work, the Title & a driver's license (proof of insurance) go to your local DMV & get plates. End of story.

• May

"Registration"  IS  plates.  They are one and the same.  It is impossible to have a registration certificate and not have the plates because the certificate cannot be issued without plates.  You better have a talk with the guys boss.

Note:  A drivers license is NOT required to buy a car or a loaf of bread or a pack of gum or anything else.  A drivers license is only required to drive !